Low Priced Flash

So not only do you have a superiority complex, but you also have the maturity level of a third grader....

Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are a azzhat, than to open it and remove all doubt.

So not only do you have a superiority complex, but you also have the maturity level of a third grader....

Its better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you are a azzhat, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Check out adjustment levels and such. I bought 2 Canon 430EX II's to use over my $95 vivitars for the adjusment levels. The Vivitar 285HV's that I use will work, but not as conveniently as the more expensive Canons. I believe the Vivitars I have adjust from 1/16, 1/4, 1/2, and 1/1. The Canons adjust from 1/64 - 1/1 in 1/3 stop increments, allowing a much finer adjustment than with the vivitars.

The below shot was done with a 580EX II(equivalent to an SB900), a light stand, umbrella, and set of radio triggers. Since it's off camera and being fired remotely, I could have gotten the exact same light and photo with one of my $95 Vivitars.

I also would like to know the comparison between a Vivitar 285HV and something like an SB600 (or a canon equivalent like 430EX). I am only planning to use the lighting on-camera, hotshoe'd. I plan on bouncing the flash to take indoor, low light pictures.

This thread brings the lulzzzz

OP is clueless and ignorant.

For what it's worth, I have the 'bottom of the line' Nikon flash (SB400 I believe you're referring to). I'd never consider it a waste of money, it's a great flash for those times when you're shooting and don't want to think about flash. It's small, can bounce the light, and works quite well.

Actually i just bought a cheap ebay flash for learning purposes and to see if i like the strobist world like i think i would. :)

The flash i purchased is a Yongnuo 465 flash gun. Its got power and it also has ttl for my d5000. It only cost me $65.00 and i love it.

buying an expensive flash wont make you look like a turd because you have expensive toys and cant use it.

i bought a sb-600 as my first flash and i am still using it.

love my sb600 as well.
but, truth be told...i like my quantaray pz-1 almost as much and it was $50 used...and for canon. lol. works fine in manual.

lighting will open up new options for you. do it.

So I'm getting pretty interested in these non-OEM flashes.

So far I've got a Vivatar, Nissin, and now Quantary.... I've heard of Vivatar, but not the others (if that says how much experience I have). Can anyone tell me more about these brands?

Actually, brand is not the issue.

You may want to read up more on flash photography.
If I am going to buy a flash, I will look at ....

1. Guide Number of the flash.
2. Cost of the flash.
3. TTL compatibility.
4. Manually adjustable flash power. (i.e. 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 ...)
5. Tilt & Swivel capable flash head.
6. Build quality.
7. Recycle time.
8. Zoom head.
9. Trigger voltage.

Of course, I will not choose a flash with all the stuff mentioned above, but I will use them for comparison. And if someone want to use the Nikon CLS, a higher end Nikon flashes are needed. For me, I'd rather get a flash that will work with the cheap ebay remote wireless flash trigger.

I bought a Sunpak Digiflash 2800 from best buy today $100 and i think it will work just fine for now but will upgrade to the SB-600 when i got extra cash

I can't speak of brands as I had a Vivtar flash 30 years ago, don't know if it's the same quality today.

You should look at the light output a flash gives out, I believe that they're measured at a certain ISO and the higher the number the more light output.

Higher light output will let you use higher f stops or shoot a little longer distance.

Bounce is a good feature, it gives smoother lighting. Having a diffuser on the light is really nice, they used to have a white cardboard for the bounce to keep the light close to the flash unit. But bouncing light off a 20 foot ceiling can be useless. I used to use a tissue over the light lens to keep the sharpness down.

If you're looking to be creative with lighting having remotely fired flashes is something to look to see if whatever you buy can do that task. I personally never got into flash photography except for family picture taking but being able to highlight details with light was interesting.

Something that may have gone away with DSLRs is having the flash on a holder above and to the left or right of the lens. You need a cable to trigger the flash and probably all automatic features of the flash/camera combo are disabled. The advantage is that the light is not on the same plane as the lens and if I remember correctly it reduces red eyes (this was way before having a computer do it for you) and doesn't make the subject as flat.

I can't speak of brands as I had a Vivtar flash 30 years ago, don't know if it's the same quality today.

I have 2 old Vivitar 283 flashes and that thing build like a tank. I also have 3 Vivitar 285HVs with lower trigger voltage, and the build quality of the 285HV are not as good as the 283 (still not bad).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back