LR problem...I think??

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I shoot in RAW and then upload my photos to LR. In LR I do all my editing, like boosting colors and what not untill the photos look great, nice and colorfull. Then I Export them to .jpg, but when I open them up with Widows Picture and Fax viewer once they are out of LR they look plain and un edited? But if I go in LR and make the photos "over done" as far as color and brightness, and then export them they look much better outside of LR. Does that make sence? I have a new monitor but I think it is programed correct, it is an (HP w1907) and like I said it is like the photos in LR look better then they really are?

I'm finding sort of the same issues with Corel PhotoPaint and IrfanView (or Windows' own viewer). It seems like they crank up the contrast for viewing.

What viewer can I use to view the image as it is?

You have to set your color profile for the images to something that will work consistently with what you are viewing them in.

For just "general purpose", it's best to set them to sRGB. You will find the color will remain the most consistent this way. If you are printing or something, you should check with whomever you are printing with and set them to the color space that they prefer. Often Adobe RGB, but occasionally sRGB.

The reason why you are seeing the effect is that LR color manages properly, but a great many other applications do not. They ignore the color profile embedded in the image and just make an ungodly mess of the display. The reason why you default to sRGB is that most apps will display an sRGB image reasonably accurately.

I feel your pain but am affraid i can offer no advice. As far as your monitor, it has nothing to do with it as the two different images are displayed on the same monitor. For me, the issue is I edit raw images and save to JPEG. I am guessing that JPEG kills some of the brilliance of the photos upon compression and maybe the windows viewer and printer employ sRGB when both you and I shoot in adobe RGB (if i understood correctly) which is has a smaller range then adobe RGB. Im not sure how jpeg compression work but these are some of the ideas I had as to why this issue occurs. Maybe someone can clarify my suspicions. Hope this can help or at least grind some gears,

Nick

^^^ beam, did you read my post? :lol:

It's not the JPEG compression. JPEG will just toss the data that you don't see in the image once you have made your adjustments, but it will appear just as it did on screen at the time of editing in Photoshop or whatever.

I would bet my left arm this is entirely an issue of colorspace. OP is probably saving it off as Adobe RGB or something, which will look great in the editing tool but look like crap in IE or the image viewer that comes with XP.

haha, i definately read it and definately didn;t click. I got stuck watching sex and the city movie with the gf and her friends so ive just been drinking. Sorry for the ignorance.

Nick

You have to set your color profile for the images to something that will work consistently with what you are viewing them in.

Does not sound right in this case. What you're describing is the "input" profile, and Windows Picture and Fax viewer is input profile aware. So you would not notice it if it's in AdobeRGB or even some CMYK space as colours would be rendered correctly anyway.

I'm pointing my finger at the other end of the spectrum. The output profile as set in windows. Right click on the desktop -> properties, -> settings -> advanced -> colour management. In there is the output profile defined for your screen (I think).

Adobe apps are intrinsically output profile aware. And that's about it, no other application is, and even those which support output colour profiles (Acdsee pro, firefox, etc) often require you to specifically select the profile.

I suggest one of two things. Either assume your profile is correct, in which case Photoshop / LR is the only program which will render the photos correctly. Or assume the profile is not, in which case removing the profile in the colour management tab, and rebooting may solve the discrepancy.

Failing that.... errr.... post here again :D

I was pretty sure Windows Picture Viewer was not profile aware. I did a google and didn't find a formal statement on it, but I did find this on the *other* (cough cough) forum...

http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00DfDu

haha, i definately read it and definately didn;t click. I got stuck watching sex and the city movie with the gf and her friends so ive just been drinking. Sorry for the ignorance.
We're here for you man, we're here for you...

Thanks, I went to the color management tab and added SRGB so I will see if that helps. I will also see if I am saveing them as that or something ells from LR.

Ok, LR was set to export as Adobe RGB so I changed it to SRGB. Also it says

Resolution ____ Pixels Per Inch

What do you normally put in there, I think the defult was 240 or so?

The PPI is not important for anything other than printing, and even then you select it in whatever application right before printing and not when saving the file normally, unless you're giving it to someone else to print.

I was pretty sure Windows Picture Viewer was not profile aware. I did a google and didn't find a formal statement on it, but I did find this on the *other* (cough cough) forum...

Formal statement in the form of 1000 words, image embedded with ProPhoto. Internet Explorer is not colour managed:
picfaxviewer.jpg

Never trust that other forum ;)

^^^ weird.

Well, we all knew that other forum sucked. :)

BTW... nice pic! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back