Mac, PC(Windows), or Linux/Unix

What OS do you use for editing?

• Total voters
I think the problem really is with standards. Apple sets-out clear standards for almost everything, particularly the interface of programs, and where resources should be located. With the ApplicationSupport directory, it's kinda like they're saying "Here you go, put your stuff in here, and create whatever crazy directory structure you want, just don't leave your designated play pen." :lol:

OS X is the zoo, Windows is the jungle.

And then there is windows. Holy crap you just burnt down my house!!!
(it was funny in my head)

windows .. havent used mac/linux thoroughly yet

updates? ... installed it then never updated . never had problems with it

xept maybe for the viruses and stuff you get from portable USB devices . but that can be easily avoided if you know what your doing :D

+ software compatibility .. i use a wide range of apps to switch to a mac/linux

As for architecture changing, Apple's handled that splendidly. Oh, and another reason I switched: OS X handles 32-bit and 64-bit drivers and software without issue. It doesn't matter if the program was written in either, or the driver in either, and it doesn't matter if it was written for PowerPC Macs or Intel Macs. They just work. Windows can't lay claim to that kind of seamless acceptance of new technology yet.

Wow. Ok... with all the delusional Mac people running loose around here I decided to ignore most of the dreams that slipped from peoples minds but this statement just blew me away.

That was sarcasm right? They just work? Do you honestly believe that?

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

So when will the day come when you can go to a store, walk over to the software section and pick between OSX and Windows and install them on any machine that you build or purchase? That will be the day i would choose OSX and Windows. Not that i dislike OSX, i just would never pay more money to do the same thing. Plus i love building my computers and picking the components that best fit my needs.

As for architecture changing, Apple's handled that splendidly. Oh, and another reason I switched: OS X handles 32-bit and 64-bit drivers and software without issue. It doesn't matter if the program was written in either, or the driver in either, and it doesn't matter if it was written for PowerPC Macs or Intel Macs. They just work. Windows can't lay claim to that kind of seamless acceptance of new technology yet.

Wow. Ok... with all the delusional Mac people running loose around here I decided to ignore most of the dreams that slipped from peoples minds but this statement just blew me away.

That was sarcasm right? They just work? Do you honestly believe that?

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

Um, yeah, because I've used them. Is that so hard to believe? OS X handles 32-bit apps very well, without the user being required to even know there's a difference. I've used both 32-bit applications and applications written for the PowerPC architecture on my machine (which is running OS X 10.5, 10.4 before that, so both are 64-bit, and and Intel 64-bit processor), with absolutely no problems (other than a very minor drop in performance because of the overhead; it's not something a normal user would notice). It's one of OS X's strong points. (The funny thing is that it was actually a little tricky for me to find-out if the binaries for programs were 32- or 64-bit, because the difference is so inconsequential.)

As for what I've been smoking, I don't smoke. But I'm in Vancouver, so if you'd like a little something I'm sure I can find someone. :lol:

boomer: A curiosity you might be interested in is that OS X has been cracked to run on a PC. It really isn't pretty, and it's a royal PITA to deal with the problem of making the hardware work right with the OS, but it's been done. The only reason it even could be done was because Apple moved to Intel processors.

boomer: A curiosity you might be interested in is that OS X has been cracked to run on a PC. It really isn't pretty, and it's a royal PITA to deal with the problem of making the hardware work right with the OS, but it's been done. The only reason it even could be done was because Apple moved to Intel processors.

If you like messing with computers to get it to work right than that is a great thing to try. If not it is hell on a cd.:lmao:

You can buy a widget that plugs into the motherboard so you can run a legit copy of osx on a pc now. BUT why would you want to ? I bought my mac for the hardware not osx

You can buy a widget that plugs into the motherboard so you can run a legit copy of osx on a pc now. BUT why would you want to ? I bought my mac for the hardware not osx

:scratch: You know it uses exactly the same hardware as a PC, except a fancy case. right?

And the motherboard dongle only works on a very select few motherboards...

Yea but the fancy case does not feel as tho its gonna break everytime i lift the screen up. Every pc laptop ive ever used has just felt clumsy and tacky. Ok yea in a desktop it really does not matter

Macs are awful. I use one every week at work, and it makes the pagination process a nightmare. It consistently crashes every day at least twice. I have to bring my Windows Laptop in to do any photoshop work.

So now I use Windows, with Bitdefender as my antivirus/malware program and nothing gets in.

And I think my desktop is much sexier than a Mac.

250l9aq.jpg

It's irrelevant as to what model they are. There's no Mac that's worth using.

One day you will see the light. Steve jobs will pour honey potion in your ear and you will wake up singing, mac , mac mac .....

Lets put it this way, I've never had a good experience with a Mac. So I don't feel like I should be giving any money to Steve Jobs for his babied down OS that he markets to people that don't have as great of an understanding of the way a computer works.

My personal opinion... If you're just surfing the web there really isn't a difference between the different systems as long as you have a good anti-virus and all that jazz. If you're going for a webserver I'd never choose anything other than Linux but hey I don't know what I'm talking about. Mac has it's advantages and it's disadvantages but I'd probably choose it over Windows just because of the update issues.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back