Macro 1:1?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by D-50, Apr 9, 2008.

1. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    What exactly does 1:1 mean with regard to macro? Also I have read true macro is 1:1 yet my 70-200 says itsmacro but is only 2:1 how can they claimmacro when it is not.

2. nicfargo

nicfargo TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1:1 is the magnification ratio, or at least this is how I've alway understood it. 1:1, and anything higher (1:5), is considered true macro. 2:1 would mean there's no magnification, and because of the closest your lens can focus, the image will fill the sensor at a ratio of 2:1. I think this is how this all works.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The ratio is between the size of the subject and the size of the image at the 'film plane'.

So if you were taking a photo of a dime...and you were at 1:1 magnification, the size of the image (on the film/negative) would be the same size as the actual dime. The same principle applies to digital, at 1:1, the image at the sensor would be life size.

Very few lenses actually get you 1:1 magnification. Many believe that it's not actually 'Macro' unless you can get to 1:1...but the lens manufacturers think that 'Macro' helps to sell lenses...so they put that on a lot of their lenses...even though they can't actually get close enough to get a 1:1 ratio.

4. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    so you cant take a true macro image of anything larger than a cameras sensor/negative?

5. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Technically, correct. If you are photographing a flower that is 3" across, and the film plane is 36mm (1.4") x 24mm (0.9"), and you want to fit the whole flower onto the frame, then you are no longer truely in macro, just close-up. But, if you shoot the stamen in the center, you can get those to 1:1.

6. eminart

eminart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a little confused about this as well. I've seen photos of tiny spiders that fill up the whole image. What is this? 1:5 or something? The numbers confuse me. And how do you attain an image that big? Is it not possible with a normal 1:1 lens? Or is it just a crop?

7. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    1:1 is a direct representation of the reproduction ratio comparing lifesize : image size on the focal plane. If a dime is 3/8" in diameter (guessing, here), then a 1:1 would be a 3/8" image if you measured it on the piece of film. If you were at 1:2, then the dime would be 3/8" in real life : 3/16" on the piece of film...half the size.

EDIT - To put it in better perspective, replace the : with a / and make it a fraction. 1/1 is a whole size image...1/2 is a half size image on the film itself. When this is printed on paper, it is going to look HUGE.

Found this link...it pretty much says the same thing I just did.

http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/tomhicksmacros.html

8. eminart

eminart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Ah, I get it now. :D The math is not strong in this right-brained one. So, it would be the opposite for even larger reproductions. For example 2:1 (or would it be 1:0.5) would give you an image twice life size on the focal plane. And when printed it would be amplified by whatever size you're printing. I'm schmart. :scratch:

9. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are correct, but I have always seen at as 1:2 (half), 1:1 (full), 2:1 (double), etc. Always try to think of it as a fraction, just with a different symbol. If you were to express it as 1/0.5, you would still be technically correct, but it would just confuse the issue even further.

10. PaulBennett

PaulBennett TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Consider taking a 35mm slide film picture of a common ruler which has inch marks.

Setup the camera/lens so the slide film picture is exactly the same size as the ruler, and test it by placing the ruler on top the slide. Got a mental image of that? That's macro 1:1 (image size = real size)

Obviously you can create pictures where the image is larger and smaller than real life, and the ratio becomes greater or less than 1:1. I.e. 1.1:1 or 0.6:1.

Now translate that mental image of slide film to a digital sensor and resultant jpeg. Everything said above still holds. Or translate that mental understanding to a 4x5 film image. Everything said above also still holds.