Someone please talk some sense into me -sanity plea

PaulBennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After considerable web research I decided to buy the Nikon D300. Wanting to actually get a feel of a D300, especially with the 12-24 lens, I trekked to el-big city and the Nikon pro store.

D300 - Immediately took a dislike to the large grip and balance was just not right. But figured I would get used to it with use. The salesman says 'try this' and hands me another camera...from the get-go it felt 'great' in both grip and balance. I knew instinctively it must be a D3. I know the D3 is a pound heavier but it didn't seem so.

Feature-wise, I would give up internal flash and gain imaging in FX and 5:4 modes. Two memory slots is nice as is voice memo-ing but by and large, they operate dang close identically with similiar sensor quality.

Ignoring cost for a second, ( I'm 71 and COULD die or lose my vision tomorrow ), I don't need the D3. But if I don't get it, I'll always regret acting sensibly. Unless I live too long and the money runs out. I owe no one, only pay cash, and don't make impulse purchases and need to replace my 25 yo car. The D3 is 3X (three times) the cost of the D300 and it's calling to me. Twice the cost I wouldn't hesitate (too much) but at $5k perhaps I need a lecture from my mother (or you). I don't need the D3. Arrrgh, I want it...help please. ( and don't tell my wife...not just yet anyway.) Does Dr Laura take calls from guys?

Have you played around with a camera like the D2H or the D2X? I personally have not held any of these cameras but i think that these 2 are probably pretty similar but can be had for a whole lot less.

Also, have you considered adding a battery grip to the D300 and seeing how it feels?

Good Luck!

Have you played around with a camera like the D2H or the D2X? I personally have not held any of these cameras but i think that these 2 are probably pretty similar but can be had for a whole lot less.

Also, have you considered adding a battery grip to the D300 and seeing how it feels?
Good Luck!

I considered a used D2H until I heard about the lesser image quality (trying to stay politically correct here) compared with D300/D3. Also a local sports journalist mentioned going through half a dozen D2Hs under hard usage. Course the paper was buying the cameras and the cameras probably were not treated as you or I would so I admit that's a moot point but image quality/noise is. From the brochure pictures of the D2H , I would expect it to handle the same as the D3 (suprisingly good from how it looks) so thanks, Jimmy, for that suggestion.

Yes, at the store we tried the D300 with battery grip but it really throws the camera off balance. Why they call it a grip when you don't grip it? It's existence is surely to boost fps and life rather than improve handling.

If you want it get it. My father put off buying his first ever brand new car for 2 years because he didn't wnat to spend the money well when he did finally buy his car he died before the car got to its first oil change he was only 48 in other words life is short get what you want and enjoy

I agree with the above posting. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. as long as spending the money wont hurt you or take food off your table, go for it. And it doesnt matter whether you need it or not.

I don't need that hot girl I saw at the store the other day, but I'd sure like to have her. lol

Life is short....i agree with archer.

When was the last time you got something extravagant that you really liked? If you get the D300 you will always be wondering "what if" or "I should have". If you can afford it and it won't break you, I say go for it.

Thanks ever so much for those who took the time to reply. Obviously that's what I wanted to hear. Sorry about your pop, archer, that's too young but at least he got to enjoy that new car smell.

Just as a question, why would younot get the D300 With the add on Grip, it makes it the same size and weight as a D3 for a whole lot less. With the extra money you could get yourself a nice lens!

Get the D3. The great thing about heirs is they'll take less, too...

Most reactions

Back