Macro lens for Nikon D40

passerby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in the processs of searching cheap macro lens, as cheap as possible as I am going to use it for fun. Upto date I found one as the cheapest from Tamron and it is a long telezoom 70-300. It's full name officially as AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 in which in Australia the cheapest one is $230 plus shipping. I don't know what 1:2 or 1:1 really means.

Tamron are releasing a new version of their popular 70-300mm telephoto lens that’s compatible with the Nikon D40/D40x DSLRs. The revamped AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 lens will have a built-in motor AF system. The price of the new Tamron 70-300mm for Nikon in the US is $189.00 and it will ship this week. It will be launched in Japan on February 1st 2008.

The next interesting macro lens is the Sigma 17-70 HSM. But this one is more expensive around $400. I like as cheap as possible for a starter until I know if macro is for me. Please shed me some ideas, anything will do.

Thanks.

Where are you looking to purchase this lens? I couldn't find it on any of the sites I usually visit (B&H, Blacks), McBain Camera)

You could get just about any cheap used macro lens and use it and manually focus, which is commonly done with macro photography anyways. Any AF or AF-D macro lens will meter but just not autofocus. Older AI or AI-S lenses won't meter or autofocus, but you can still use them. You can commonly get these in the 50-60mm range and full 1:1 macro for less than $100.

The Tamron you're looking at is only 1:2 macro, only half life size. Pretty good, but not full 1:1 macro. You probably also need to be at 300mm to get the 1:2 macro which might mean that you need to be 6 feet away or so. There's lots and lots of used macro (Nikon calls it micro) lenses out there to look into so I wouldn't necessarily go with this tamron.

I shot this with that same lens on my Pentax K110D, not fantastic, but not bad either. 180MM, F4.5, ISO 200, 1/60 sec, in "macro" mode.

1099589298_214eca0999_o.jpg

Depending on what lenses you already have, a reversal ring might be your cheapest option.

Where are you looking to purchase this lens? I couldn't find it on any of the sites I usually visit (B&H, Blacks), McBain Camera)

In Australia I use this site to probe the prices for any product. Than I buy the slightly more expensive product in the local shops with warranty. IF the local shops charging it overprice - than I buy online. (To a person who do bussiness online)

Older AI or AI-S lenses won't meter or autofocus, but you can still use them. You can commonly get these in the 50-60mm range and full 1:1 macro for less than $100.

In australian ebay the secondhand nikkors is rare products. I went to the international ebay, but even there the nikkors is not in abundance. Beside I have doubt to send money to an unknown person for a product that exist only in a statement. It is dilemma though. Maybe I will try step up rings first I don't know. The new 60mm nikkor here is about $400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back