Macro lens for Nikon D40

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by passerby, Mar 2, 2008.

1. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am in the processs of searching cheap macro lens, as cheap as possible as I am going to use it for fun. Upto date I found one as the cheapest from Tamron and it is a long telezoom 70-300. It's full name officially as AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 in which in Australia the cheapest one is $230 plus shipping. I don't know what 1:2 or 1:1 really means.

Tamron are releasing a new version of their popular 70-300mm telephoto lens thatÂ’s compatible with the Nikon D40/D40x DSLRs. The revamped AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 lens will have a built-in motor AF system. The price of the new Tamron 70-300mm for Nikon in the US is $189.00 and it will ship this week. It will be launched in Japan on February 1st 2008.

The next interesting macro lens is the Sigma 17-70 HSM. But this one is more expensive around $400. I like as cheap as possible for a starter until I know if macro is for me. Please shed me some ideas, anything will do.

Thanks.

2. Craddosk

Craddosk TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Where are you looking to purchase this lens? I couldn't find it on any of the sites I usually visit (B&H, Blacks), McBain Camera)

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You could get just about any cheap used macro lens and use it and manually focus, which is commonly done with macro photography anyways. Any AF or AF-D macro lens will meter but just not autofocus. Older AI or AI-S lenses won't meter or autofocus, but you can still use them. You can commonly get these in the 50-60mm range and full 1:1 macro for less than $100.

The Tamron you're looking at is only 1:2 macro, only half life size. Pretty good, but not full 1:1 macro. You probably also need to be at 300mm to get the 1:2 macro which might mean that you need to be 6 feet away or so. There's lots and lots of used macro (Nikon calls it micro) lenses out there to look into so I wouldn't necessarily go with this tamron.

4. Stratman

Stratman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shot this with that same lens on my Pentax K110D, not fantastic, but not bad either. 180MM, F4.5, ISO 200, 1/60 sec, in "macro" mode.

[​IMG]

5. brileyphotog

brileyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Depending on what lenses you already have, a reversal ring might be your cheapest option.

6. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In Australia I use this site to probe the prices for any product. Than I buy the slightly more expensive product in the local shops with warranty. IF the local shops charging it overprice - than I buy online. (To a person who do bussiness online)

In australian ebay the secondhand nikkors is rare products. I went to the international ebay, but even there the nikkors is not in abundance. Beside I have doubt to send money to an unknown person for a product that exist only in a statement. It is dilemma though. Maybe I will try step up rings first I don't know. The new 60mm nikkor here is about $400.