clearing card

Emerana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it ok to slear your card of photos by just formatting it? its much quicker and easier

Is it ok to slear your card of photos by just formatting it? its much quicker and easier

Sure. I used to do it routinely with a Canon PhD camera for the same reason that you've mentioned.

I believe it's actually better to format the card from time to time. I've heard deleting images doesn't actually remove the files but justs marks them to be overwritten when that space on the card is needed. After awhile this can leave fractions of files on the card that can corrupt it so formatting is good way to ensure the card is actually emptied.

I format every time I download the card!! Never had a problem.

I believe it's actually better to format the card from time to time. I've heard deleting images doesn't actually remove the files but justs marks them to be overwritten when that space on the card is needed. After awhile this can leave fractions of files on the card that can corrupt it so formatting is good way to ensure the card is actually emptied.

That is correct. There is a neat little technical trick that any electronic storage does to make the device think that there is free space when in actuality deleted files can in most cases be retrieved.

Most reactions

Back