Macro or Blurring the Background?

sj022698

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am just photographing food plates. I have a Digital Rebel. I have an 18-55mm, a medium range canon (something like 80-200) and I have a Tamron 70-300mm which has a macro feature. Anyway, I've tried using the tamron to get close up photos of the food but I have to move back REALLY far...If I get too close, I can't get that blurred background effect. Well, I guess you can say I don't know how. What would you recommend I do? I normally shoot in auto but I'm guessing I need to go to one of the other manual ones like av, tv, etc...Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Shoot in Av and set it to the widest aperture(smallest number probably around f/5.6) and remember the closer you are to the subject and the further the background the better bokeh you will most likely have.

bokeh is the blurry part in the background. GL
tj

Cool, thanks for the quick reply.

I'm assuming the 18-55mm lens?

BTW- a teleconverter won't help, will it?

You will have better bokeh with the longer lens i.e. 70-300 so i would go with that zoom all the way in and back up as far as needed from there. Do you have any samples?
tj

You will have better bokeh with the longer lens i.e. 70-300 so i would go with that zoom all the way in and back up as far as needed from there. Do you have any samples?
tj

Well, I don't have any samples right now available. unless I can attach a .pdf

The lighting is terrible and I had to do a lot of extra work for the photo but it did turn out good vs. the ones I take close up and crop in on. This is for a family scrapbook so it does need to be perfect but I want do a decent job.

That helps a ton then. I can use that lens easily. The other one drives me crazy. Will a flash help me a that distance? If not, I don't need the flash.

Here is an example of one. I know it's not great by comparison but again, this is just a family cookbook that me and my 5 & 7 year old are working on.

Arichokes4.jpg

That photo is pretty good just the right side is cut off. When you say flash do you mean off camera? That would be the only option because the pop up is very harsh
tj

That photo is pretty good just the right side is cut off. When you say flash do you mean off camera? That would be the only option because the pop up is very harsh
tj

Thanks...I know it's not great but I think it's good and for a cookbook with the kids, it's more than fine. Well, that was with the pop up flash and extra lighting.

I received a new flash that goes on the shoe??? but not sure if I should keep it.

Let me ask you this. As an example, go to www.macaronigrill.com On their main page that have rotating photos...Is that macro or simply something like below (AV mode with a wide aperture)? I like simplicity of stuff like that and I think I could possibly accomplish similar with an external flash and running in av mode with a wider ap which someone recommended above

Most likely off flash good lighting and some photoshop to get rid of the bg
tj

Most likely off flash good lighting and some photoshop to get rid of the bg
tj

Ummm...no offense but what??? :lol:

I think you're saying good lighting, photoshop and I'm not sure what bg or off flash means

Either way, would this be considered a macro shot? For example, should I use that 70-300 lens or should I use a 18-55 with a wide apeture???

I was just thinking if an 18-55 did ok, that the external flash might help but not so much with the 70-300. Am I correct or wrong on that?

I apologize for my lack of understanding and truly appreciate the help!

Most reactions

Back