Mamiya 645 AFD or Contax 645

3bayjunkie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.colbyjack.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Think the mamiya is a good price at $650 with the kit lens and i buy the 80mm f/1.9.

My question is because the contax has a Polaroid back which id like to try. I haven't seen one for the mamiya....

I'm not sure how much use you'd get out of a polaroid back now, with the lack of availability and high cost of the film. I know some will vote for the Contax (and objectively, it might be a better camera), BUT here's my support for the Mamiya: Much greater availability of parts and accessories, backs are convertible between 120 and 220 (You don't need a separate back for each), and generally lower price of lenses and bits.

tirediron said:
I'm not sure how much use you'd get out of a polaroid back now, with the lack of availability and high cost of the film. I know some will vote for the Contax (and objectively, it might be a better camera), BUT here's my support for the Mamiya: Much greater availability of parts and accessories, backs are convertible between 120 and 220 (You don't need a separate back for each), and generally lower price of lenses and bits.

Thanks for the input. I realize polaroid is not a practical format by any means. But i would use it for playing with once in a while. I really want to use it. There is plenty of polaroid film for sale on amazon so it isnt that hard to come by. I was just wondering if mamiya had a back...

tirediron said:

Thats true but the fact remains that i want to use polaroid just for messing around with. I still see it for sale all over online. So im not worried about getting it. Just wondering if mamiya made a Polaroid back

BUT here's my support for the Mamiya: Much greater availability of parts

It's a Contax. You won't need to replace any parts. :)

But yeah. the Contax 645 is kind of pricey, especially for a brand that is no longer in production.

They're just INCREDIBLE cameras and lenses, the 645 makes the Hasselblad H-series feel cheap and the Mamiya 645 feel like a toy. I think the price is worth it. But they're not cheap at all.

They are also pretty heavy with that brass alloy body.

BUT here's my support for the Mamiya: Much greater availability of parts

It's a Contax. You won't need to replace any parts. :)

But yeah. the Contax 645 is kind of pricey, especially for a brand that is no longer in production.
I wasn't actually thinking of spares, rather different bits and pieces like spare dark slides ('cause no one EVER loses those), backs, etc.

Well, dark slides are easy enough to have fabricated, and wouldn't cost too much if you absolutely had to. Of course who's going to think "I better have a bunch of dark slides machined up now before I lose this one?"

Backs are pretty easy to find still, but the Contax 645 was always a pretty exotic camera and I agree, you'll only find fewer and fewer as time goes on.

What kind of batteries does it take? That might be a big issue.

ChristopherCoy said:
^^

I was getting ready to ask the OP how much money he had. Contax is ridiculously pricey.

You can get a perfectly good contax with viewfinder, 120mm back and 80mm f/2 ziess lens for about $2500. I wouldnt say that is expensive at all. Shoot you're almost to that price range if you buy a 35mm canon 1v and 50mm f/1.2 used. If you buy new, way over the price of a contax 645.

So i guess my point is the price is reflective of the quality. It wouldnt bother me at all to buy the contax, but i dont need one if i can get the same job done with a mamiya. I also dont need auto focus so the 80mm f/1.9 mamiya lens would be fine :)

Hell man. If you can afford the Contax, go for it. It's a MUCH better body.

I mean, there are a lot of options out there with your budget than the Mamiya 645.

If you're looking for rolls royce quality, why don't you buy a Hassy with an A16 back and have something that can be repaired by a company still in business in the event its needed?

Most reactions

Back