Mammatus Clouds

pez

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I noticed these Mammatus clouds overhead in advance of an approaching storm, as I was leaving for work, and had to get a few frames.

18978140320_5921502321_o.jpg

19160077082_8d0f072243_o.jpg

However, a third frame had a curious anomaly:
19169353111_9aaf40f2e8_o.jpg

detail:
19160076772_d9fc3a7dab_o.jpg

Whatzit?

f8, ISO100, 1/200sec, no high winds at ground level. Perhaps a diving bird or (crazy fast) insect?

Cool! I don't believe I've ever noticed this type of cloud before.

I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society
I noticed these Mammatus clouds overhead in advance of an approaching storm, as I was leaving for work, and had to get a few frames.

18978140320_5921502321_o.jpg

19160077082_8d0f072243_o.jpg

However, a third frame had a curious anomaly:
19169353111_9aaf40f2e8_o.jpg

detail:
19160076772_d9fc3a7dab_o.jpg

Whatzit?

f8, ISO100, 1/200sec, no high winds at ground level. Perhaps a diving bird or (crazy fast) insect?
I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society web site (I'm not kidding), which is international in membership and based in England. They have a cloud photo contest, cloud identification wheel, and a great book on clouds which I bought from them. I first noticed this organization while on the Dull Men's Club site (also not kidding) which is also worth a visit.

That's really interesting. You shot at a 200th so it had to be going pretty fast to get that kind of motion blur.

Curious indeed.
I can't figure it out. It may or may not have had an arcing trajectory, as this was a zoom lens at 18mm, so there was barrel distortion.

Mammatus clouds are the coolest!

I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society
I recommend a visit to the Cloud Appreciation Society web site (I'm not kidding), which is international in membership and based in England. They have a cloud photo contest, cloud identification wheel, and a great book on clouds which I bought from them. I first noticed this organization while on the Dull Men's Club site (also not kidding) which is also worth a visit.
I will check it out, lol

RE: that weird black artifact: f/8 at 1/200 at 18mm....looks like 1) a piece of lint on the sensor or 2) a dark-colored insect flying rapidly by, perhaps a bee or hoverfly. Does it look a bit like transparent wings there at the bottom end of the blur? Kind of does to me.

RE: that weird black artifact: f/8 at 1/200 at 18mm....looks like 1) a piece of lint on the sensor or 2) a dark-colored insect flying rapidly by, perhaps a bee or hoverfly. Does it look a bit like transparent wings there at the bottom end of the blur? Kind of does to me.

I'd say definitely no to the lint-on-sensor, due to it's in no other frames and the fact that I've never seen debris on the sensor look like that. Yep, all I can come up with is maybe a diving bird, or a really fast insect. 1/200 @ 18mm should capture more than a blur from either of those things, though.
edit: also, the WR lens has been on the WR body for weeks.

Someone or.................. something is out there.

Well, I don't discount that it may be something unusual. I know that insects close to the camera can look like "rods" in certain conditions, due to rolling shutter effects in video, but this is not video.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back