Manipulation of ideas

thedingo0099

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
CE477E5B-8913-4E45-B005-53BDC1A5914F.jpeg
Over the years I’ve found myself less interested in realism in photography and more in my interpretation of what I see on a daily basis.
Some might see what I do as ‘cheating’, not really photography, even call it art, abstractions or impressionist.
I don’t mind what others call it. It’s just what I do.
I thought I might share some with you.
I’m happy to read what you think.
This opening photograph has been processed using Adobe Camera Raw.
The emphasis was to place the viewer in a cold and hostile place, which is pretty typical do the Yorkshire Moors even on a good day.

I understand that, on some occasions it will be necessary to be factual in recording the image and transferring it to the media of choice.
Whether that is possible to do, given the very nature of photography, is beyond being debatable.
Then the question arises : if photographs can’t be trusted to tell us what is there, why would we bother to try?
So I don’t.
This image is a result of several images. It’s produced as a result of seeing the potential the images had if they had occurred in the same place at the same time.

Does knowing this place doesn’t exist and the birds never were there make a difference to your interpretation?

1207F82A-2D1F-4EC7-9B55-14DE43194F40.jpeg

Some ideas come as a result of long term thought processes and learning new techniques.
This image has its origin in simple abstraction, then developed into something which requires a more aesthetic interpretation.
There is no single idea here. It is just a result of allowing thoughts to express themselves organically.
Like throwing mud at a wall.

6BC0A80A-C739-475D-BB34-80F9683104C0.jpeg

There is a tendency by many to see photography as just a recording, or factual representation of a scene. As humans once we obtain a certain level of proficiency in a skill there is an inherent need to express our creativity beyond the basic skill. Art means different things to different people, I favor the Britannica definition of art, "a visual object or experience consciously created through an expression of skill or imagination", as it relates more to photography as a media capable of artistic interpretation. Whether the photograph is created SOOC or is a compilation created post, it still represents the skill and imagination of the photographer.

I like these very much! :) I’ve found myself coming back to the first and second to take second and third looks.

All three work for me.
The third has an intrinsic vale of abstract ergo surrealism that is reminiscent of the 1960's impact image movement.

The third one really strikes me because unlike the 1970's style groovy feel, its more 3 dimensional and has added variance that pops out.
The other two are calming and tranquil for me and hold that air of a lost time when things were simpler.

Good work.

All three work for me.
The third has an intrinsic vale of abstract ergo surrealism that is reminiscent of the 1960's impact image movement.

The third one really strikes me because unlike the 1970's style groovy feel, its more 3 dimensional and has added variance that pops out.
The other two are calming and tranquil for me and hold that air of a lost time when things were simpler.

Good work.

Like string art.
Remember that?

All this doesn’t mean that a realistic image isn’t in order.
But we all know how much cheating is involved here.
Each of us approach a scene with different mentality.
Our gut instinct is to tell someone what we are thinking.

We have to lie to tell the truth.

5503F6B9-5D05-44B1-95C3-6D191AC59936.jpeg

You seem to know your way around.

All three work for me.

Good work.

Like string art.
Remember that?

All this doesn’t mean that a realistic image isn’t in order.
But we all know how much cheating is involved here.
Each of us approach a scene with different mentality.
Our gut instinct is to tell someone what we are thinking.

We have to lie to tell the truth.

View attachment 177275
That image is very creepy to me but in a good way.
my father was a hard core shutterbug that shot B&W and worked at the Abq. Sunport.
Images like that is what he did along with his engineering Stereo photography.

During an afternoon stroll, I passed next to an artist. Looking at he canvas, I did not recognize what she was painting, so I asked her. She said she was "painting the light". From combined Greek words, "photography means, "writing with light". Photographers are artists. Do with it what you wish. It is your vision.

Image 2. If they ever wanted a book cover for Hitchcock the birds that would win hands down.
I too paint with light and have a rep for marmite photos
I entered a merged image into a club comp, alas the judge knew the area where it was taken and that no way was my image a straight pic. Still got good marks thou...

Great st
Some ideas come as a result of long term thought processes and learning new techniques.
This image has its origin in simple abstraction, then developed into something which requires a more aesthetic interpretation.
There is no single idea here. It is just a result of allowing thoughts to express themselves organically.
Like throwing mud at a wall.

View attachment 177210
Wonderful images. As Plato said, “Why do we need a copy of a chair? We already have a chair.”
More, please.

thedingo,

My first impression was; what a lovely shot of the sun rising to burn away the morning fog. The great start to a new day.

Then I read your post an got a good chuckle as to how different folks interpret the same photo differently.

The addition of the birds would have furthered the impression of wildlife rising to the morning sun. However, it looks too much like an overlay.

The abstract photo remind me of a spring flower bending towards the light. With the advent of post processing, art and photography are forever combined.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back