Manual with Auto ISO Operation ?

I was told by an old photographer some 50 years ago. When I started getting serious about taking photos. He said this, there are those that drive their car for the shear enjoyment. And have no clue how the car works. Just that it is pure pleasure to do so. Then there are those that drive cars but have to know every nut and bolt, how it works and why. Becoming concerned with every odd squeak or knock they hear and never really enjoy the drive or journey.
He ended with, you need to decide how far you need to get into it. Be happy and enjoy, or be technical and concerned every time you want to do something.
I’m a happy photog and know just enough to get the job done.

I was told by an old photographer some 50 years ago. When I started getting serious about taking photos. He said this, there are those that drive their car for the shear enjoyment. And have no clue how the car works. Just that it is pure pleasure to do so. Then there are those that drive cars but have to know every nut and bolt, how it works and why. Becoming concerned with every odd squeak or knock they hear and never really enjoy the drive or journey.
He ended with, you need to decide how far you need to get into it. Be happy and enjoy, or be technical and concerned every time you want to do something.
That's a false dichotomy. I tend to be somewhat technical which leaves me entirely unconcerned knowing that I can and will get precisely what I want and expect every time I trip the shutter.
I’m a happy photog and know just enough to get the job done.

I use this setting often for low light/night photos if I want to control the shutter speed (moving object) and the depth of field, not skilled enough to guess the correct ISO so leave that to the camera!

Group,
Came across an interesting feature on my EOS 90D, namely setting exposure and shutter speed with manual settings (as I did with film many years ago), but having the ISO set automatically to try and make the exposure and shutter speed correct for the subject.
With my new camara I am not as concerned about "low ISO" speeds as this subject has been discussed in the forum with regard to picture noise.
Is this a mode of operation used by you?
Marc
Other than experimenting to understand it, I've not had occasion to use Auto ISO. Since you just recently discovered it, maybe this will be useful:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back