marketing idea

vandecarr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
someone mentioned before about marketing by having your photos hanging in public places i.e banks, etc...

i find this an intresting angle and was wondering if anyone who does this or has done it in the past could elaborate on it.

who did you contact? what did you say? what was the offer? etc...

thanks,
mike v

I had my pictures hanging on the wall of the local CVS (Drug and convenience store) for a few years until there was a management change. It wasn't about making money though.. i just liked seeing my work displayed in public and the local CVS got something to showcase with their photodevelopment lab ( which was pretty good for a drug store).

I also showed my portfolio to a local cafe but they preferred to hang reproductions of paintings and such.

Who do you contact... start with the manager of that day. have a business card or calling card in hand.

What did I say? Well just start by introducing yourself as an a local artist looking for a venue to display your work.

What was the offer? it becomes difficult.. in terms of money. Most places will not pay you for hanging your work but are willing to display your business card next to it. Visitors are encouraged to contact you if they are interested in purchasing prints.

Chains and banks will be difficult as many have restrictions on what they can and cannot hang on their walls. Some chains are required to purchase wall art strictly from an approved vendor. So check out the locally run places where the owners will have a bit more control over their storefront.

I am trying to find such a place to display my work. I have heard of a hair salon, and know of a bar (in Vancouver) where they will display and sell works by local artists. I guess I need to spend more time finding such a place around here.

...restaurants are a good place, except the chains. Many are individually owned. If you have a trendy part of town (re-vitalized downtown, warehouse district turned in to restuarant row, etc.), that's a good place to start.

I am trying to find such a place to display my work. I have heard of a hair salon, and know of a bar (in Vancouver) where they will display and sell works by local artists. I guess I need to spend more time finding such a place around here.

It helps tremendously if those establishments know you as a frequent customer.

What size prints have you guys hung up. Because I was thinking about this and with the price of a large print plus frame you could be looking at more money than the picture (or pictures) could possibly bring in.

A lot of the cafes, bars, and restraunts around here rotate local artists in every month or so. The Idea is that the artist has an opening reception and newspaper story to draw attention to the venue. Most places have a waiting list, but are not too terribly picky. The work has to be high quality. Sales are sketchy, but it is a lot of fun. It is important to keep in mind that we are in photography to make good images as opposed to making money.

Target local eateries and watering holes. Bring your work and a business card. Hopefully the work will speak for it self. Explain your plan. You will be directed to the decision maker.

Love & Bass

Most reactions

New Topics

Back