Max F-stop

Most people starting out in photography are confused by aperture numbers.
I would say that's because most people starting out in photography don't understand that the f/number is a fraction such that f/2 is a way bigger number than f/16 is.

For YEARS now, I have taught noobs who've asked me for help understanding how this f/stop thing works, using a one-dollar bill; two Kennedy half-dollar coins; four Washington quarter-dollar coins, and ten Roosevelt dimes.

They "get it" in about one minute....the 100-penny Dollar Bill..... is "the whole lens"...

The HALF-dollar, or 50-cent piece represents and aperture that has 1/2 the value of the 'whole lens", or f/2, or the lens being 1/2 of the way "open".

The QUARTER-dollar or 25-cent piece represents 1/5th the value of the whole dollar, or f/4..or "one-quarter open".

And the 10-cent or 1/10th of a dollar dime being f/10, or the lens being one-tenth of the way "open"

Put the two Kenny halves together, it makes 100 cents; put the four Washington quarters together, we get 100 pennies; put the ten dimes together adds up to 100 pennies. People totally, totally "get" this, esepcially when yuo use the dollar bill as the "lens", and the various coins as representing the numerical values of 1/2 dollar; 1/4 dollar, and 1/10 dollar.

Once they see this, they never get confused.

I would say that's because most people starting out in photography don't understand that the f/number is a fraction such that f/2 is a way bigger number than f/16 is.
Not Math.jpg

I do believe that you have solved the problem of everyone wanting to be a photographer. All person purchasing a camera should have to read a waiver stating that there is MATH involved in photography.

View attachment 133431

I do believe that you have solved the problem of everyone wanting to be a photographer. All person purchasing a camera should have to read a waiver stating that there is MATH involved in photography.
STOP IT ... I mean .. F(%$#@) STOP IT !!

f/1.8
IMG_9194.JPG

f/5.6
IMG_9195.JPG

f/16 (or f/11 - one or the other)
IMG_9196.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 133431

STOP IT ... I mean .. F(%$#@) STOP IT !!

f/2.8
View attachment 133449
f/5.6
View attachment 133450
f/11
View attachment 133451

That ='s an f stop of 24.4:biggrin-93:

Quit changing you posts. You had f/11 then changed it to f/16.

That ='s an f stop of 24.4:biggrin-93:

Quit changing you posts. You had f/101 then changed it to f/216.
I'm a little tea pot.
I forgot what it was .. had to go check and change appropriately. :)
I had f/2.8 too but it was f/1.8. :)

maybe it was f/11 ??

Yes. And if your lens is 18-55 f4/5.6 that means that on the 18 end you can select f4 as your largest aperture (meaning it can't get to f2.8, f1.8) and as you increase focal length eventually it gets to f5.6. Think of it this way. If you cut out a 3 inch circle, can you turn it into a 5" circle with the material you have? No. But you can make it a 2.5, 2.3, 2 and so on. Same with apertures. You can't make a lens with a max f4 an f2.8, but you can make it at f11.

... using the f/NUMBER value is a relatively new, internet-era thing, brought on by newcomers saying things like, "Go to a higher f/number," which is a way of speaking that was never commonly used in the prior 150 years ...
I don't doubt you in the least, but I haven't run into people using this terminology yet. Or, maybe I just haven't picked up on the trend within a variety of loose terminology.

Knowing this is helpful, and yet at the same time sad... :blueface:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back