Max Print Size?

Wow, those Giclée prices seem very reasonable. That particular type of output has an interesting quality to it, great for reproducing acrylic paintings, the perception of texture is amazing.

The larger output (posters) will look fine from 6 feet (maybe 4), but get close and you will see the half-toning, the dots that make up the image.

Matte VS Glossy, well the colors will shift a bit on glossy stock, they should appear to be brighter and will even appear to have a slightly different hue, not much but noticeable to the trained (or just observant) eye. Matte materials while not as vibrant, can help to hide slight defects, almost like a woman's makup (VS a sweaty betty) and is probably a better choice for the bigger enlargments. I'm sure you've seen photo paper VS plain paper, so just extend that experience to this output.

That said, without seeing the actual output, much of this is speculation, so pick a shot and order a couple of prints to gain the best insights.

I may try one of their Giclée prints myself!

-Shea :mrgreen:

Matte vs. Glossy: are you going to frame the photos behind glass? If so, I'd probably go matte. If not, it really depends on the photo.

I'm confused here. (what a surprise..)

Umm when I resize my image to 16 x 20 (for example) the pic comes all vertically and horizontally distorted. Does this mean I will have to crop or something? What would happen if I ordered a 16 x 20 and sent them my original size pic? Would it have to distort or crop to fit those dimensions? What's going on here?

My orig photo size says: 53.778 inches x 36 inches (72 ppi)

Does this mean I can only resize with those same proportions? How am I s'posed to get a 16x20 (ie) without cropping or distortion?

Wait.. I think I might have figured it out. I might just be stupid.

edit: think I did. scratch my last retard question. :)

You would need to crop for a 16x20 as it is a different ratio. I created a ratio chart a little bit ago if you need something to kind of gauge what ratio prints what. You would need to trim a bit off the longest sides.

Edited to say pretend I didn't write that and actually scratched your question :)

Wait, so if you had a 20x16 as opposed to 16x20 it could still work the same way right? Since you could just print the pic sideways?

Man I need some sleep.. haha

Ok I think I got the answer to my retard question x2.

My pics new dimensions:

20 x 16 inches (200ppi)

It looks manageable. So does this mean I'm technically ready for a 16 x 20 inch print?

Cool. Here's a 100% crop to see if you guys think the quality is good enough:

100crop.png

I know it could be better, but at least all the details are still there. Maybe the genuine fractals would do a better job. I don't have the money to buy that now though.

You shouldn't worry about it. The best thing is to try it out. I've printed 30inch pictures from an 8mb Canon 350d (3456pxx2304px) with surprisingly good results, a little soft but really only a little so they're very acceptable.

i think you should just try it and see what happens.
I got some nice posters from my 350D. They are 40x60 cm (somewhat like 16x24 inches) And these were cropped a bit. Think the resolution was 2816x2112. I didnt know what to expect, so i just send it away and was happy with the outcome.

I've made 20 x 30" prints off of my 6MP D40 that I had to upsample a bit and they look great. You don't need super high DPI with large prints because you're not viewing them at the same distance you would with smaller prints. You hang 20x30" prints on walls and then look at them from several feet away or from across the room. Even 100dpi is enough for that.

RK, you don't have to have 'Fractals, I was just being precise in relating what I did. If you do some further research you will find numerous ways to accomplish your goals.

If you are using photoshop you might just want to try here (they're free although I would urge you to donate if you can to keep the site going ;))

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/photoshop-tools.htm

BTW pay close attention to the Sharpening Toolkit.:thumbup:

I have printed a 5 foot by 12 foot photo from my D200 on full size raw.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back