Me and a model, our relationship is straining.

tecboy said:
I did tell her that I can shoot the next day. She didn't response my email or give me a phone call.

That's the problem with so many TFP or TFCD aka "trade shoots"...with no money involved, the model has very little incentive to show up unless she feels like it that day...isn't too hung over...isn't too strung out from a weekend (or a night, or a morning, or an early afternoon) filled with frolicking and lots of wine and weed,etc.,etc,etc.. Unprofessional, discourteous,prima donna, borderline alcoholic, druggie types are legion in the wanna' be model field. This is the stuff of TFCD shoot lore that you'll soon learn more about.

Oh my.

I don't know whats going on with her OP but you can't afford to keep shifting things around in order to fit her schedule. As others have mentioned, as far as she is concerned, you're a busy person with people booking appointments all the time. If she wants to reschedule again, tell her you're booked up the rest of the month and not sure if you have anything until the new year.

A relationship like this, almost sounds like marriage. Maybe you should just.............

What?! Dude... She is way older than I am, and she has a 20 years old daughter trying to get into the modeling business. Anyway, if she contacts me again, I'll try to be straightforward. If she doesn't like it, oh well, there are plenty of other things to shoot.

About the battery issue... Is it really that if the model is not coming, you wouldn't use the batteries for that long that they are affected?

Personally I never have my batteries laying around unused, I just make up something else to should. For not all my business involves people to photograph.

My solution is: People pay an amount on forehand and they get it back after the shoot. If they don't show up, the money is yours. So far no one ever refused on taking this deal.

Get your stuff ready and keep it ready. Many times, good shoots are spur of the moment things, so...be READY!!!!

yup you should be mentally ready to have a good shot.

Is this the same mom and daughter that you took pictures of before? If it is, I'd probably going ahead with this shoot and then think about not doing anymore shoots with them. After this I'd just say you're not available, can't do it, whatever, and let them go find somebody else.

I don't know if this woman is just trying to find somebody she can get to do this without having to go hire/pay a professional photographer or what, but I can't help but wonder if she might be somewhat trying to take advantage of you being a nice person. Maybe it's better to move on and find other models and/or other opportunities.

Is this the same mom and daughter that you took pictures of before? If it is, I'd probably going ahead with this shoot and then think about not doing anymore shoots with them. After this I'd just say you're not available, can't do it, whatever, and let them go find somebody else.

I don't know if this woman is just trying to find somebody she can get to do this without having to go hire/pay a professional photographer or what, but I can't help but wonder if she might be somewhat trying to take advantage of you being a nice person. Maybe it's better to move on and find other models and/or other opportunities.

Yep, the same mother and daughter. She seems reasonable. She started to communicate more. The mother said she is starting a website portfolio and she needs to get it done in the first day of January. If I getting much better in photography, and she asks me again, then I going to charge her with a low fee. I have a hard time looking for models especially at Model Mayhem. Someone suggests I should look at Craigslist.

I don't think it's about switching brands. It's more about being prepared. In my previous life as an avid photographer in the 80s, I did a number of model shoots. My attitude became, models are flaky. If that hasn't changed (I have no reason to believe it has), then be a boyscout and be prepared. If that means buying more batteries, extra memory cards or whatever, then do so. If you don't, then the opportunity to make beautiful pictures is reduced. If you can't count on your models, make sure you can count on your equipment - whatever brand you choose to use. And, of course, that also means you have to be flexible enough to take advantage of those opportunities. Don't let the excuse be your equipment wasn't ready. Let it be, "I'm sorry, I have a previously scheduled shoot at that time. Can we schedule this for..."

Jim

Models are flaky. FREE models are uber flaky squared.

If you intend to work with free models, you better be on your game logistically and ready to put yourself out and ready to accomadate all sorts of weirdness.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back