Medium Format Camera Recommendation?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Honestly, I am not sure where to start, I'm looking at getting into medium format, and I'm trying to figure out what I would like to get, right now I'm thinking an Mamiya RB67 would be nice, however it can be a little pricey, but it has the ability to change the film back, and I plan on shooting b&w and color film in this camera. This will be my first step into medium format, so I really don't want to spend a fortune on gear, I can follow a manual to learn how to operate a camera. I'm also considering the Mamiya M645 1000s or 645e, both seem to be cheaper than the RB67. Looking for some guidance on what to get, the camera will be used for both landscape/building type photography and portraits.

I'm open to other options, I think my max budget might be $500, but being under budget would be a bonus.

Thanks for any guidance provided.

The RB 67 is a great camera but you might want to check one out before buying one sight-unseen. They're quite large and heavy. Not the camera for hand-held photography if that's what you like to do.

A 645 or 6x6 format camera is much more manageable.

Pentax 645's or 645n/nii's are great. I have them and use them for work along with my Pentax 67ii. On the 645 size, you get about 15-16 exposures on a 120 film, compare to about 10 exposures on 6x7.

I got this for $25. You can buy a lot of film for $475

cmw3_d40_6802
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

That's actually a pretty cool idea, cheap camera, tons of film, what's the image quality like on one of these? Do you have any shots you can post?

The RB 67 is a great camera but you might want to check one out before buying one sight-unseen. They're quite large and heavy. Not the camera for hand-held photography if that's what you like to do.

A 645 or 6x6 format camera is much more manageable.

That is something I'm worried about, which is why I would consider the Mamiya M645. The plan is to use a tripod for most work. I'm not familiar with any 6x6 cameras.

Pentax 645's or 645n/nii's are great. I have them and use them for work along with my Pentax 67ii. On the 645 size, you get about 15-16 exposures on a 120 film, compare to about 10 exposures on 6x7.

For the Pentax, those seem rather expensive on eBay, not sure I would want to spend the money on those. Thanks for the pointer on the film lasting longer.

For the Pentax, those seem rather expensive on eBay, not sure I would want to spend the money on those. Thanks for the pointer on the film lasting longer.

If you don't mind manual everything, the Pentax 645 can be had for around $200-300 with a lens if you look hard enough. The 645n/645nii are more expensive because the additional auto focus system along with other automation. You can also use Pentax 67 lenses on the 645 system through an $80 adapter. The 67 105 f2.4 lens is beautiful on a 645 camera. I use that combo a lot for work.

I have both an RB67 and an M645. I find the RB stays mostly in the closet while the M645 gets more of a workout. I love the large negs from the RB for landscapes but the M645 is more useful for "general" photography.

The earlier posters are right, the RB is a beast and needs a tripod. The M645 will benefit from a tripod but you can use it handheld in good light.

I agree that the need to slow down forces you to pay attention to lighting and composition. (It can also cause you to miss shots.) I find that digital encourages "machinegunning" a scene in hopes of getting a useable image. Film doesn't allow that - it's much too expensive. Not to say that one can't get excellent images with digital - look at the many examples on this site.

Good luck and have fun!

At $500, you have a lot of options. You can get the RB67 Pro-S w/90mm; a M645 Pro w/80mm; Mamiya C330s w/80mm; Bronica SQ-A w/75mm; the aforementioned Pentaxes; Bronica ETRs; Yashica TLR's such as LM, D, Mat 124, 635 (120 and 35mm); Rollieflex; just to name a few. There are also a lot of roll film folding cameras that are fun to use, like some of the older Mamiyas.

I shoot Hasselblad, Bronica, and several Mamiyas (RZ67, M645 Pro, C330s), and I also use a 6x7 back on my 4x5 cameras.

Okay - The down side. Repairs are costly, since no spare parts are available from those companies. All parts are in the used/salvaged market.

Id skip the RB and get an RZ 67

I really like the Bronica SQ-A when I had it ... something about shooting square really appealed to me.
If you can find one cheap, get the Zenzanon-S/PS 40mm lens. I had the 50 and it did not seem wide enough.

Love this Voigtlander I got for $35 (plus 2 other cameras, light meter and a 8mm movie camera).

YC2FzkD.jpg

TTpIFZN.jpg

sEjdRp8.jpg

I have a Bronica SQ-Ai (crank advance) and an SQ-AM (permanent motorized-only advance)...shoots 6x6 square, OR 6x4.5, or 35mm panoramic, depending on the film magazine in use. Has metering prism options, as well as waist-level viewfinder option. Seiko inter-lens shutters in each lens, so...good flash synchronization, and no focal plane shutter to conk out; every lens has its own shutter. There are other, lower-priced options however, should you want to conserve cash.

A Mamiya TLR system (either C330 or 220, preferably "f") with a lens or two could b e had on that budget. I have a system (C330f, C220f, C, three lenses 55mm, 80mm, 180mm, and accesories). I love them and used them a lot in the past. I used them recently as I get back into photography. The changeable backs is an issue and could lead you to other systems. For me, I could put color in one body and B&W in the other and be good to go, but it is a bit of extra weight to carry around.

Just looking on ebay, you can get a C220 or C33 + lens for ~$200.

One thing to remember is the 645 is like a 35mm film camera, you have to rotate the camera to change from H/landscape to V/portrait orientation. Easy to do in some cameras, more difficult in others.
With a 6x6 I don't worry about that, I just plan the crop in the viewfinder.

I've seen RB67 multi-lens kits under your budget, so they are out there.
But, as others have said, it is a rather heavy camera. So make sure you pick one up and hold it for a several minutes, to get a good sense of the weight. And remember that the longer you hold the camera, the heavier it will get, as your muscles tire.

Another option is to buy low now, and save and plan to upgrade later.
Or push the budget and upgrade now.

With the price of film cameras so low, I would think about going up to a used Hasselblad, as your "upgrade" camera.
12 years ago, I got a used one for less than I paid for my D70, and that was from a camera shop, not direct from a seller.
I have not checked the current prices, but if you are patient and hunt, you can probably find a good deal out there. Though you may have to piece it together yourself; body, lens, back.

Most reactions

Back