medium format?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by rom4n301, Sep 3, 2009.

1. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    im thinking of getting into medium format.. of cource.. i want a 500c/m but sadly... when i wanted to buy it.. i had the money.. but i didnt get it.. now.. im thinking of getting a bronica sq or sq-a... any opinions on witch i should get.. i mean like.. what are the differences

2. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh damn... nvm... i cant even find an sq for sale... but what do all u thin about the sq-a cuz.. im still not perfectly shure if i wanna get into medium format....

3. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I used an Etrsi for years shooting weddings and it did me well for a long time. I purchased 2 of them used and only had one issue with either one of them, got it repaired and issue over.

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Well... they're both SLR cameras, both have interchangeable film backs. They're both fine cameras. The Hasselblad will cost more and easily has better optics, but I'm sure you'd be happy with Bronica's lenses.

I suggest you consider the one that will allow you to expand your system... add lenses, finder, backs, etc. If the Hasselblad is out or reach, look for a Bronica or Mamiya.

-Pete

5. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Couldn't agree more...
    It's been a while since I even held a medium format but I believe Bronica is no longer in production therefore although you might find it cheaper, repairs, IF ANY, will probably be more costly. Ideally, of course you'll never drop the back and will not have to worry about any other repairs, but these things to occur thus keep in mind the cost and availability of maintenance. Personally, I love Brony and I miss it.

6. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    hey thanks for the replies.. of caurce i want the hassy.. but damn... to expensive.. and right now im tryin to spend money on glass for my dslr/film cams

7. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want to buy a Bronica, go for the SQ-A over the SQ. The SQ-A has mirror lock up and the SQ doesn't. With such a big mirror, I find the mirror lock up feature essential (I have both SQ and SQ-A bodies and I now exclusively use the SQ-A for that reason).

8. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh one more question... im ganna be runnin external flashes pretty much everytim i use the cam.. so i was wondering.. how exactly does a pc scync cord work since there are no batteries..

9. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I own an SQ-A and an SQA-M (motorized). I think the SQ-A is a good deal, since it is newer than the plain vanilla SQ. Look for an SQ-A someplace besides the big five web sites, where you will pay absolutely top dollar for used medium format. Buy a copy of Shutterbug magazine, and call or e-mail some of the *smaller* companies in the secondary markets in the USA if you need a good deal.

It's possible to buy an SQ-A w. waist level finder, a 50mm and 80mm, with a 120 back for as little as $300 for the pair, with a motivated seller: I know, since I payed that little in 2008 for the exact listed stuff in Mint - shape. The 150mm PS lens is a nice one to have, and consider that you can also get a 645 back for the SQ series bodies to give your lenses a bit of added flexibility.

e-Bay is another place to get good deals; the biggest web site in the USA have prices 30-60 percent higher than you'll find from motivated sellers.

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    PC sync cords don't require batteries on the camera side.. from my understanding the power comes from the flash and all the camera does is just close the circuit which is mechanical not electrical.

11. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    oh.. tru tru

12. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit