Mentorship

Cnschmidt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I saw the post from years ago about members who were willing to take on mentees but since that was so long ago, I didn't know if they were still doing that and didn't want to pm anyone and be an annoyance. Is that still something that is active? Thanks. :)

Thanks! I think I sent you a message. (This forum is a little different from others in how it does messages, but I think I did it right! ha)

I seem to remember a thread that listed the potential mentors, but it might be out of date now.

Start casting about with the members with a lot of posts, you'll eventually find one who is willing to help.

I seem to remember a thread that listed the potential mentors, but it might be out of date now.

Start casting about with the members with a lot of posts, you'll eventually find one who is willing to help.

Yes, I found the post with the list and bios, but it was from '08, LOL. I wasn't sure if pm'ing them and asking was the best method, or an open post with a request, or exactly what the best method would be.

Pixmedic is a good one to ask, he might even share how to get exciting photos of a sleepy ferret. Or Tirediron. Or Terri if she's on. There are people who will be glad to work with you. Or just go to the Coffeehouse where nothing makes any sense but it's at least entertaining.

The mentor list is still up-to-date at least as of this year- whilst the original post is older the bios do get added/removed every so often. Some of the members might not be active in that they post every day on the site; but most are still checking private messages (conservations as they are now called in the new software). Most should get an email (by default) about such a message so should be able to respond; although do give them a very days.

.. or an open post with a request, or exactly what the best method would be.
A PM (conversation) would get right to the person, and usually without delay, but since you mentioned an open request, why not take the opportunity to tell us where you are now, where you want/need to be someday? What specific type of help are you looking for?

csphotography

Here are some examples of my work over the last years. I have 2 things I would like to accomplish. One is to learn the basics of studio shooting. Lighting, posing, ect. Most of what I've done is outdoor, natural lighting and lifestyle portraiture. I'd love some guidance in that aspect.

I would love for someone to look at my overall shooting as a whole and help me pinpoint my weak places and what I need to work on so I can take it to the next level. I have a dream. I want to use photography as a ministry. (I am a little nervous saying it out loud due to the overall attitude towards photographers who jump in with super low prices and how that hurts the market, that isn't what I want!) I grew up very poor, we didn't even have a point and shoot camera until I was much older. We never had pictures done save for the once or twice Kmart would have a $7 special and even then, we couldn't afford that very often. Now that most of my family are gone, I wish I had books full of photos of them.

My husband and I are much, much better off than I ever was as a child. If I do photography, it isn't for the money, it's for the joy I see in OTHERS when they see their loved ones in the shots I take. I want to be able to offer that to ANYONE, not just those that can afford a $300 photo session. I want to work with our local pregnancy crisis center to offer maternity and newborn sessions as a gift. But before I can do ANY of that, I need to be a competent photographer. So, I want to learn more and grow.

I have been doing free sessions or charging only the cost of travel. (I live in Rural Central Kentucky so ANYWHERE I would go to shoot would cost $$ for fuel.) In exchange, I give the families a few of the images and the rights to print. This has given me a lot of practice. I have done this for a couple years now. I have grown a lot since I started, but now I'd like to know where my weak spots are and what specifically I need to work on.

Okay, that was a novel. Thanks for reading! lol

I shoot with a Canon T3, I have the kit lens 18-55mm (that I rarely use), a 50mm f/1.8, and a 70-200mm f/2.8. I have a reflector kit and a hot-shoe flash, tri-pods, Lightroom and Photoshop CC. Oh, and GIMP. lol. I started with GIMP but now prefer Adobe.

I think that's a noble aspiration - while I didn't grow up in a poor family by any stretch, Mom was the photographer (Meaning she had the Kodak Instamatic in the parachute-size bag she called her "purse" and whipped it out for any and every occasion). So because of that, our family has a million pictures of everyone BUT her....

Since you said "Someone", I'll take a crack at some general comments. I see a couple of issues consistent through your work: (1) An inability to turn your camera 90 degrees; remember that your camera works just as well in portrait (vertical) aspect; (2) You have a lot of "awkward" crops; that is, missing bits, limbs, etc; and (3) a penchant for unusual treatments (sepia-esque, muddy monochromes) which IMO, don't flatter the subject.

I think that's a noble aspiration - while I didn't grow up in a poor family by any stretch, Mom was the photographer (Meaning she had the Kodak Instamatic in the parachute-size bag she called her "purse" and whipped it out for any and every occasion). So because of that, our family has a million pictures of everyone BUT her....

Since you said "Someone", I'll take a crack at some general comments. I see a couple of issues consistent through your work: (1) An inability to turn your camera 90 degrees; remember that your camera works just as well in portrait (vertical) aspect; (2) You have a lot of "awkward" crops; that is, missing bits, limbs, etc; and (3) a penchant for unusual treatments (sepia-esque, muddy monochromes) which IMO, don't flatter the subject.

Thank you for the feedback! I'm not sure I ever realized how little I shoot in vertical portrait orientation. So thank you for pointing that out. As a personal note, I have always loved the sepia look, and didn'the realize it was unflattering. That is something I will keep in mind when editing for others. Maybe I'll just keep those for my personal stash. :) And I do realize that odd crops are a failing. It's something I've been trying to work on. I am really bad about not noticing things in the background or off to the side of the frame as well. I'm trying to look around the frame more, but sometimes I'm literally taking the shot on the fly with a wild toddler! Practice, right? Most of my poor cropping isn'the post processing, it's just failed composition, lol. Thank you again for the Frank assessment, it'seems very much appreciated!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back