Messed UP

canonrebel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I took my dcam out this evening and I never checked my asa settings. I shot 30 files with the asa set to 400. This resulted in dissapointing images. :oops:

walacelake2.jpg

Interesting.
I guess I can see a little noise from the ISO but the colors look as though they've had some PS work on them.

How so?
Was there a thunderstorm coming and did you want to cat the very special light that you only get in those circumstances? If so, what is wrong?

The very fact that my monitor is old and slow and colour gradients (like this sky from light to dark) look like wood carvings to me here does not mean that the picture is a disappointment, does it? Not to me!

We had a weather situation like that yesterday afternoon and I rushed to get film into my camera to catch the sunlit dark sky - but alas! I was too slow. By the time I was ready, that huge black cloud had already blacked out the sun and the wonderful colour effect was gone...

I see a touch of noise from the high ASA (which I had to look for), but I think the heavy sharpening is the distracting part, myself. Sharpening will make the noise stand out more, too.

Creepy looking.

Shouldnt this be in the bloopers forum? *shrug*

It was late evening. The sun was low in the sky, not long before the sunset.

The polarizer filter didn't give the sky enhancement I was expecting. Sky is too dark in places--wish now that I hadn't been using it.

The ominant storm never developed, but the sunset was right on time, which, of course, I missed.

The snap was sharpened in PS because the 400 asa not only added noise, it absorbed contrast. There's very little detail in the tree line. Maybe low contrast was due to the polarizer filter and the near-setting sun--I just do not yet know why the entire gig failed, but I have my theories. I haven't yet inspected my UV and Polarizer filters for smudges, but I will before the next shoot!!

Does anyone have any ideas or similar war stories about same or similar situations?
How 'bout it, Rainman, can you help me out here?

Colors were left unchanged in PS, the actual scene was spectacular.

I could have done better with my A-1 and my scanner--maybe.

It was the 400 asa--that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I wouldn't say it's a disappointing image. Your foreground is lovely and the colors to the left of the image are true. My main problem with this image is the line of trees on the distant right side. There is a bright line above them that gives them an oddly "cut n pasted" look, as if they were superimposed into the image. Not that the surreal effect is a bad thing, either, but it does combat with the distinct realism of the left half of the image. If that makes sense. :wink:

terri said:
My main problem with this image is the line of trees on the distant right side. There is a bright line above them that gives them an oddly "cut n pasted" look, as if they were superimposed into the image. Not that the surreal effect is a bad thing, either, but it does combat with the distinct realism of the left half of the image. If that makes sense. :wink:

That may have been contributed by PS over-sharpening. The tree line was slightly blurred in the original.

Your comment further substantiates my notion that no part of the entire shoot was salvagable. :?

Bottom line is that I blew an excellent opportunity. Can't even begin to describe the actual scene.

Bottom line is that I blew an excellent opportunity. Can't even begin to describe the actual scene.

I am certain it was beautiful, just from this image.... now, quit with beating yourself up over it. Look at it, learn from it, and you'll capture it next time. And there WILL be a next time! I will repeat, the two hardest words in beginning photography: "learning curve". :wink:

Most reactions

Back