Metering.

rangerrick9211

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What in camera meter do you use most often? What are the factors that influence which you choose? Thanks for your help!

What in camera meter do you use most often? What are the factors that influence which you choose? Thanks for your help!
Spot and center weighted. The in-camera meter is easily confounded in other modes, particularly if there is little light variation is a scene like a black dog sitting on a pile of coal or a white dog out in the snow.

I meter the highlights and the shadows and from experience pretty much know what settings I want to used based on that. 98% of the time I use Av and M modes.

I capture in the RAW file format and introduce an 18% grey card (I have a small one on my keychain) into my shots when the light changes for setting white balance later in ACR.

Matrix metering, with judicious use of exposure compensation, and a lot of experience learning how the meter reacts to different types of scenes. I'm at the point where a single button press and flick lets me get the meter right where I want it, without having to twiddle with the position of the center-weighted or spot meter.

I do use the spot meter in extremely wonky lighting situations, such as very high dynamic-range areas, or something where I want to expose for only a specific part of the frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back