Midnight Reveille | Band Rehearsal Shoot

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I had an opportunity to go to a buddy's band's (he's the drummer) rehearsal and get some shots for them...I didn't charge as it was mainly a practice/portfolio building exercise.

Rehearsal ended up being in a basement with music stuff everywhere, pin-up calendars and white boards lining a wall made of moving blankets and a Budweiser beach towel nailed to the studs. Space was tight, lighting wasn't good, etc. and I didn't want to interfere with their practice so I worked with their setup and didn't ask for any moves, changes, etc....just went with the flow.

These are my results. C&C is appreciated!
(These are just some that I randomly picked, click the link to see the whole set on Flickr.)
RehearsalShoot - 1.24.15-34 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

RehearsalShoot - 1.24.15-23 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

RehearsalShoot - 1.24.15-14 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

RehearsalShoot - 1.24.15-5 by mhenson1104, on Flickr

They ended up being really happy with them...I'm keeping some of them in my "portfolio" so any processing critique, etc. is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tuesday morning bumpage...for the morning crowd!

The last one is the stand-out here for me. Nice effect with the movement so you know they're jamming. Not an easy environment for you to shoot in.

Some really good tight head shots in the collection and the B&W looks great for this kind of work, in my opinion.

the last one for me

the rest are to tightly composed

jmo

The last one is the stand-out here for me. Nice effect with the movement so you know they're jamming. Not an easy environment for you to shoot in.

Some really good tight head shots in the collection and the B&W looks great for this kind of work, in my opinion.

Thanks! The longer exposure with the flash ended up working out well.

the last one for me

the rest are to tightly composed

jmo

"Too tightly composed..." = My most common critique. :) I guess I like tighter crops...

In this case, my options were pretty limited and the space wasn't the greatest for "letting the photos breathe." If I wanted any separation between the band members I had to compose that tightly (they were nearly killing each other with guitars if they would turn or move too much because the space was so small), otherwise, I'd get a random guitar neck in the background or some unsightly piece of basement...

Glad you like the last one though!

Thanks for the comments!

They look like a fun bunch of guys! The guy in the beanie... haha.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back