Band photos

andrewdoeshair

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I volunteered to take pictures of my friend's band in my little hair studio. It was my first time being in charge of photography and NOT in charge of hair for a project like this. I had a ton of fun. They just wanted some basic shots of their faces (like the Queen album with their heads floating in blackness) but I figured since I had them there I'd get some extra shots with shoulders and also a few fun "rocking out" shots using a slow shutter and some gelled speed lights. I had the camera trigger a gridded soft box on a strobe, then I triggered the purple and red gelled speed lights together with my other hand a second later. The portraits were shot with a Rokinon 85mm F1.2 and the rock out shots were done with a Sigma 50mm F1.4 Art. Both on a 5Diii. Here's a few of the shots. It was fun to get pictures that weren't about the hair. I just wanted to share them, thanks for reading.

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.29.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.34.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.30.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.31.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 2.41.42 PM.png

After every shot that I had set up and liked, I got a few on Kodak Tri X, but near the end of the day when I was doing the slow shutter thing my EOS Rebel G had the shutter curtains bind up. They were stuck half open and sort of twisted around each other. I tried to straighten them out with some tweezers and I royally screwed up. I put little kinks and bends in the things, and then they didn't open at all. RIP, camera.

Pretty good usage of light ... still looks like a "hair" band :ambivalence:

Ah, too bad about the shutter ... you should have not used the tweezers, in my experience you can use one finger on both hands to carefully put them back in place with little damage.
... too bad you did not ask us before trying the repair, I could have helped ... I've done that repair many times in the olden days.

Most reactions

Back