Model Mayem Question

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As someone new to photography, how does Modely Mahem work? Ive noticed several postings on here this year, guessing its somewhat popular? How does the companyt work and are you paying the models or are they paying you???? Im guessing your paying them. Are you at the mercy of taken the types of photos the model wants, or is the photographer in control?

Do a search for models in your city, contact the ones you want to shoot. Send them a link to your website and ask them if they would like to do a TFCD (time for CD) shoot with you.
When they respond work it out.
It is a pretty good way to find people to shoot.

man that a long question. lol jk.

Well i just signed up myself and am in the process of setting up my first shoot.

Its just a big network for models, photographers, make up artists, hair stylists, etc.
As a photographer you can put out a casting call looking for models, or models can put a casting call for photographers, etc.
Or you can just contact specific models directly and ask to shoot.
Some models (usually beginners) will do TFP(trade for print) or TFCD(trade for CD) where more expirenced will usually only do paid shoots.
If its your shoot its your shoot. You set it up and go by your ideas.
If your hired to work you do what they want lol(then they pay you).

Thats my general knowledge/description of MM

Hope that helps
Gian

Model Mayhem is a place where a whole bunch of bad photographers get to mingle with a whole bunch of bad models. There are good people on there on both ends, plus MUAs, PP artists, and other things, but they're all buried under the pile of rank amateurs. MM has become training wheels for wanna be models and fashion photogs; a place where they can find each other and make tasteless nudes. All that being said, it's still worth checking out, and you can still find talented people if you dig through it all.

Model Mayhem is a place where a whole bunch of bad photographers get to mingle with a whole bunch of bad models. There are good people on there on both ends, plus MUAs, PP artists, and other things, but they're all buried under the pile of rank amateurs. MM has become training wheels for wanna be models and fashion photogs; a place where they can find each other and make tasteless nudes. All that being said, it's still worth checking out, and you can still find talented people if you dig through it all.

:thumbup:

Actually, this post is worth way more that just one thumb up so here's a few more.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have yet to see anyone worth paying on MM. God help us all.

I have. The first model (and only ATM) was probably one of the bigger mistakes of my photography "career". Whatever though, live and learn I suppose.

I have found several models on there, each time it has been a positive experience.

i think general benson did a great job of summing it up.

the people who really seem to have the potential of being a career model are the ones that dont accept TF*, and are too busy to bother anyway.

now on the other hand...for someone like me, MM is great. i like shooting people, and i dont have a lot of people in my life who enjoy having their picture taken.
MM has offered me the opportunity to play, experiment, and have fun shooting people. of the shoots ive had, do any of them have potential to be a career model?...no. many are just looking for a cool picture of them, or the opportunity to try new stuff and see what a creative person might be able to use them for.
at least thats my take thus far...im still pretty green on MM.

but i guess the final statement should be a more positive one...

do i ENJOY model mayhem? HELL YES.
im having a good time meeting people, and letting the creative juices flow. it's definitely fun, and worth signing up for.

If you're a noob photographer that's never worked with models before, MM is a great resource. It's also a great resource for hobbyists.

Try as you might, you'll be hard pressed to find another site on the internet that has the popularity of MM. With that popularity comes lots and lots of models. As mentioned, the vast majority of them are inexperienced hacks that think they're hot stuff but in reality are just a pretty face to stand emotionless in front of your camera.

If you learn how to work with people and how to filter through the ones you know won't work out, it's actually a good resource for getting models. If all you do is send an email saying "I think you're pretty let's shoot"... expect to get a dingbat model to show up... if she shows up at all. If you screen them, ask the right questions, talk to them voice, and approach it as if it were a job interview, you'll have a pretty high success rate. At least I have.

I've had just one "flake" model, the rest have been great to work with and I've made some pretty good friends through the site.

You'll get out of MM exactly what you put into it. If you go at it with a half baked approach, you'll get crappy results. If you put some thought into it, make an honest effort to accomplish something worthwhile, you should do pretty well.

Oh, and the first thing you should do before going on your first shoot is get a model release form. Do not, and I do mean DO NOT, start shooting with a model without one signed. This has little to do with MM specifically, this is a good practice regardless of where you recruit models.

There are a lot of types of models, one of the most common is runway, this is the kind you see in a runway show, to do this you have to be at least 5'7" and slim (in less you are a plus sized model). Another type is commercial modeling, the people you see in Macy*s and Khols catolouges. They eat healthy, and drink ALOT of water, also, most of the time models are wearing a lot of make-up so they look extra pretty. I am a model myself, and some tips are to just be yourself, practice, and get ready to face rejection.
xoxo

Thank you for your insight. Ill make sure to drink more water.

I wanted to add that you can definitely get something worthwhile out of MM but inTempus beat me to it.

One thing I'll add though is that I've never paid a model unless I was getting paid for the shoot. Finding a model for free is not that hard. Plenty of people (both males and females, btw) are flattered by the idea. And I did 90% nudes for my personal work. What I did though is hire one of my free model when I had a paid shoot needing one. It was a nice way to say thanks for the free times. :)

One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned is the fact that you need to show some model work to MM before you can join so, you need to find yourself a couple models on your own first. But remember a model is not necessarily a pretty face. Look at a magazine, there are models of every age, shape, color, etc.

MM has become training wheels for wanna be models and fashion photogs; a place where they can find each other and make tasteless nudes.

:lol: Nominated for quote of the thread! LOL
user_online.gif

Look at a magazine, there are models of every age, shape, color, etc.

Exactly, and I wish MM was more like that. There are a few people on there like that, but it's mostly dominated by people pursuing the glamour market. I would love to find a place that is a hub for photogs an models of every other style too. I would kill for a spot to find lifestyle models.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back