Modeling Headshots: Luke

Look, perhaps he might be okay as a catalog model, but there are 9 shots here with nearly identical looks. Sensing a trend? I bet it's in the shots NJ didn't post, as well. There are lots of different kinds of models, sure, but Paris Hilton's the only one to have ever gotten anywhere with a single look.

While I appreciate your analysis on this subject, this thread is really about the images and not whether he can get a modeling job or not after one shoot. ;) Actually, I think he would be quite pleased to get a job as a catalog model, since he has never done anything like this before, and doesn't have any expectations. He just wanted to get a few headshots to send out to various agencies in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. He is in college and doesn't really know what he wants to do yet. I was more than happy to do this for him, and hopefully it lands him a side job somewhere during the summer. :)

While I appreciate your analysis on this subject, this thread is really about the images and not whether he can get a modeling job or not after one shoot. ;)

Sort of true.

But we coach our models all the time. I'm not saying you ought to be instructing his every move, but insofar as you're aware that a portfolio full of the same look is a bad thing, I think you owe it to your model (or client, in this case) to communicate that in some respect. Remember that it generally takes models quite some time before they're able to effectively visualize what they actually look like while posing. So given that your subject is an amateur, he's most likely blissfully unaware that he's giving the same look in every shot, and may not even notice upon looking at the finished series. I think one's job as a photographer, with respect to clients goes well beyond tripping the shutter and post-processing. It requires you to identify and to correct any problems with the shots, and I think that this qualifies.

Just my thoughts. I hope that doesn't come across as condescending.

-Max

Sort of true.

But we coach our models all the time. I'm not saying you ought to be instructing his every move, but insofar as you're aware that a portfolio full of the same look is a bad thing, I think you owe it to your model (or client, in this case) to communicate that in some respect. Remember that it generally takes models quite some time before they're able to effectively visualize what they actually look like while posing. So given that your subject is an amateur, he's most likely blissfully unaware that he's giving the same look in every shot, and may not even notice upon looking at the finished series. I think one's job as a photographer, with respect to clients goes well beyond tripping the shutter and post-processing. It requires you to identify and to correct any problems with the shots, and I think that this qualifies.

Just my thoughts. I hope that doesn't come across as condescending.

-Max

No, I dont think that was condescending at all. I agree completely. I too firmly believe that its my job to direct the poses, expressions, clothing choices, etc. as well as I can, and as part of the whole session package. Anything less would be a disservice to them. It's always good for me to be more aware of the importance of directing my subjects properly. I think I've been getting better at that lately, but I could always some improvement. Thanks. Your points are valid. :)

I'm about to dome some headshots for a friend. At the moment I'm wondering whether to do it in a studio or outside. What would you agree would be best? Or should I mix it up a bit. Here is a link to the photography I have do so far. www.flickr.com/photos/ricitius
I haven't really used any kinds of light other than a lamp or two while indoors. Thanks.

I'm about to dome some headshots for a friend. At the moment I'm wondering whether to do it in a studio or outside. What would you agree would be best? Or should I mix it up a bit. Here is a link to the photography I have do so far. www.flickr.com/photos/ricitius
I haven't really used any kinds of light other than a lamp or two while indoors. Thanks.

Hi ricitius,

Cool, thanks for pulling my thread back up!

I took a look at your shots. Not bad. Keep trying and practicing.

I would do some of both, outdoor and indoor if you can. There really is no best way. Its what you prefer doing. Personally, I love doing portraits outside the most. I can use light is so many different ways outside, just as long as I channel it properly, and get some nice directional light on the subject's face. Try to shoot in the shade if you are outside on a bright sunny day, or wait until early morning or early evening for nice soft warm light. Also, use a reflector if you can. Its all about good quality light and proper exposure.

If I must shoot indoors, all I use are a couple of speedlites (canon 580ex and 430ex), and I set them to master and slave. I use either use a shoot-through umbrella or a regular umbrella with the speedlights, and I also use a reflector for fill light. Again, getting the good directional light and proper exposure is where its at. I tend to favor short lighting as opposed to broad lighting, as it gives more dimension to the face.

Hope this helps.

I think your shots are excellent however I have to agree with some of the others here about the eyes. Part of your responsibilty is to direct the guy and having him look at the same point somewhere at the bottom of your camera is just not so good. I think if the guy is inexperienced you need to tell him while you are shooting to change the expression in some of the shots and mabye look at the camera at least once. I want to repeat I think technically the shots are excellent but to have the guy looking like he is reading off of a tele-prompter in every shot is very distracting.

I think your shots are excellent however I have to agree with some of the others here about the eyes. Part of your responsibilty is to direct the guy and having him look at the same point somewhere at the bottom of your camera is just not so good. I think if the guy is inexperienced you need to tell him while you are shooting to change the expression in some of the shots and mabye look at the camera at least once. I want to repeat I think technically the shots are excellent but to have the guy looking like he is reading off of a tele-prompter in every shot is very distracting.

Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for the tip. It all helps. Thanks JIP. :)

Yeah for sure I'll keep on practicing and taking more pictures. I think I'm leaning towards more of an outdoor shoot due to me not having equipment besides my camera and stock lenses. Do you have any recommendations on any common light solutions found around homes to get the same effect. I remember on the David pictures on my flickr (www.flickr.com/photos/ricitius) were done with a lamp without a lampshade and a mirror.

Thanks ahead of time. I appreciate all of your advice.

Hi ricitius,

Cool, thanks for pulling my thread back up!

I took a look at your shots. Not bad. Keep trying and practicing.

I would do some of both, outdoor and indoor if you can. There really is no best way. Its what you prefer doing. Personally, I love doing portraits outside the most. I can use light is so many different ways outside, just as long as I channel it properly, and get some nice directional light on the subject's face. Try to shoot in the shade if you are outside on a bright sunny day, or wait until early morning or early evening for nice soft warm light. Also, use a reflector if you can. Its all about good quality light and proper exposure.

If I must shoot indoors, all I use are a couple of speedlites (canon 580ex and 430ex), and I set them to master and slave. I use either use a shoot-through umbrella or a regular umbrella with the speedlights, and I also use a reflector for fill light. Again, getting the good directional light and proper exposure is where its at. I tend to favor short lighting as opposed to broad lighting, as it gives more dimension to the face.

Hope this helps.

Yeah for sure I'll keep on practicing and taking more pictures. I think I'm leaning towards more of an outdoor shoot due to me not having equipment besides my camera and stock lenses. Do you have any recommendations on any common light solutions found around homes to get the same effect. I remember on the David pictures on my flickr (www.flickr.com/photos/ricitius) were done with a lamp without a lampshade and a mirror.

Thanks ahead of time. I appreciate all of your advice.

Well, there are plenty of things you can do for do-it-yourself (DIY) lighting. For example, you can make your own homemade reflector out of a sheet of white foam core from your local craft store, and even wrap it in aluminum foil for some added reflectivity. However, with foil wrap, you might get a sheen on your subject's skin that you may not want. I prefer to use white reflective surfaces myself.

Although, you are making do with what you have for lighting, Im afraid a regular lamp isn't going to cut it in the long run. I would consider investing in a speedlite flash at the bare minimum and one or two accessories to bounce the light (bounce card, reflector, umbrella, softbox, etc.), or you may be able to get some inexpensive continuous lights from a photography supply vendor. Canon and Nikon make very nice speedlites, or you can go cheaper and get a sunpak or vivitar. But I don't think they balance ambient light. You just set them manually for more or less power.

If nothing else, you could try a 300-watt flood light from your local home improvement store, but those get very hot and take quite a bit of power. In any event, you will need something with more power, since ordinary light bulbs increase your chance of oof (out of focus) pictures caused by motion blur or camera shake. Sorry if Im telling you stuff you already know. I'm no expert on lighting by any means, and only throwing out some ideas that I've seen on this board and other photo boards.

One person on this board I think is much better at DIY photography is Garbz. He's had some great ideas in the past, and I think he knows how to build a homemade softbox quite well.

Good luck in your endeavors. :)

The photos are stunning. I'm shocked how sharp and clean they are.

Anyways I think that with that hair the kid won't have many chances. Something has to be done to that hair. Everything else on him is ok, yet I think his nose is a bit large :D

The photos are stunning. I'm shocked how sharp and clean they are.

Anyways I think that with that hair the kid won't have many chances. Something has to be done to that hair. Everything else on him is ok, yet I think his nose is a bit large :D

Whether he has a chance or not is irrelevant to the critique of the photos, but thanks for the compliment. :)

Hey NJ - great job !

I especially, especially like #5...just terrific. You can see every pore on his face (in a good way ;) and it just grabbed me...

Very nice NJ! The 85 1.8 is my favorite portrait lens. You showed off its capabilities very well here!

Hey NJ - great job !

I especially, especially like #5...just terrific. You can see every pore on his face (in a good way ;) and it just grabbed me...

Thanks Rachel, much appreciated!

Very nice NJ! The 85 1.8 is my favorite portrait lens. You showed off its capabilities very well here!

Hey thanks Justin. Im glad you like the 85mm too. Thanks for commenting!

i dont like the facial expressions at all. they do seem rather lifeless and forced like hes 'smiling' half-assed.

two cents!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back