Moon Picture (C&C)

Jaszek

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
michalphoto.tk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Taken tonight with my 70-300 Sigma @ 300mm with shutter speed of 1/350. Cropped and resized in Lightroom and curently using it as my wallpaper. As always C&C welcome

vvvv.jpg

Ok so I fixed it a little
vvvv-1Medium.jpg

Good night for now :mrgreen:Waiting for more C&C:waiting:

Too dark. You need to increase the exposure length by at least a factor of 2-3.

I have been having the same problem with shooting the moon these past few days. It is the first time I have tried to shoot it and can't figure it out.:x

Sunny 16 ... Lunar 11.

Here is a base you can start with ... with a full moon:

Shoot at f11 with a shutter speed equal to your ISO

For 3/4 partial moon ... drop your shutter speed 1 stop.
1/2 moon ... drop 2 stops

i like the fixed image, but maybe a little bit tighter crop would do?
and may i ask what size lens you are using?

That's a relatively long focal length (not surprising). I would try...

1. Shoot at a speed of 1.5x your focal length or so. (so 300mm = 1/450th of a second)
2. Try not to zoom out to the absolute extreme of the lens... I know it's tempting to do so because it makes the moon take up more of the frame, but lenses will generally suffer some quality problems at their extremes, and from what I have seen many lenses seem to be sharpest at around 1/3 their max focal length.
3. Manual focus if possible... might be hard to do with the moon, but worth a shot.
4. Use a tripod if you can.

Good luck!

Sorry, gotta say this: Please do NOT follow the aperture and shutter speed advice that you have read on this thread. It is not good advice. Very very briefly, because I have addressed this before:

(1) Aperture should be as wide open as possible (lowest f/#) or POSSIBLY stopped down 2-3 stops because that's where many lenses are sharpest. Shooting at f/11, f/16, or other high numbers is silly and serves no purpose.

(2) ISO should be lowest possible (usually ISO 100 or 200 depending on your camera).

(3) Shutter speed should be fast but not too fast. In other words, fast enough to not overblow it but slow enough so that it's not too dark. Usually I have to make this point because people either up the ISO too much and so have a ridiculously fast speed, or they use too small an aperture so have to use a ridiculously slow speed.

That being said, please take a look at this extensive lunar photography guide that I wrote.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back