More real wrestling.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With the paper asking me to cover more sports, I have decided that it's time to speed up the process and make the move to shooting them in jpeg. Honestly, I've tried it a few times and have always been unhappy with the results that I was getting. To be fair, when I've done it, I have shot jpeg + RAW just to have the raw files to fall back on.

Last night was no exception, other than, I actually liked and used the jpeg images with minimal post processing. I know that a big part of this was that I was able to shoot with on camera flash, which helps a lot.

Thought I would share a couple of images with you. The post processing was to bring all the files (79) into Photo Mechanic and cull out the ones I wanted to consider for the paper (21). Then I moved those 21 files to LR where they got a basic panel adjustment and sharpening and a little noise reduction. Then I exported the jpegs and emailed them to the editor.

1) Winner by a pin.
31268216430_7ac3b51192_b.jpg

2) Sizing each other up.
31493993382_8ab27fd6b9_b.jpg

Lightroom is slow as hell. I would go straight from PM to ACR. Adobe Camera Raw and the Lightroom develop module are exactly the same program. Since the lighting is not going to change add a 3-5 photos at a time. Apply the same general settings int ACR. The work in photoshop destructively. I can develop this way with better quality faster than in jpg. Set up an action to change to 8 bit, image size and any other conversions you need to do. I have one for vertical and one for horizontal. Note if you tone more in ACR, select all and use the previous conversion setting and it will apply what you just did.

Nice timing on the pin shot! I used to wrestle. That is a much better wrestling photo than one typically sees in a local newspaper.

Nice shots Ron, I shot a few matches last year and hope to do more soon. It is a great sport to photograph.

Lightroom is slow as hell. I would go straight from PM to ACR. Adobe Camera Raw and the Lightroom develop module are exactly the same program. Since the lighting is not going to change add a 3-5 photos at a time. Apply the same general settings int ACR. The work in photoshop destructively. I can develop this way with better quality faster than in jpg. Set up an action to change to 8 bit, image size and any other conversions you need to do. I have one for vertical and one for horizontal. Note if you tone more in ACR, select all and use the previous conversion setting and it will apply what you just did.

Thanks JC. I am still trying to learn PM and how to best use things. I did find out that I can ingest to PM to the final location and rename the photos as I used to. Then I can star the ones that I need/want to send to the editor. Then I can edit those first and then I can go into LR and instead of copy I can add those and it is much faster since it doesn't have the additional step of moving/copying them.

But for the ones that I need for the paper, I will have to give PS a try on those.

Nice timing on the pin shot! I used to wrestle. That is a much better wrestling photo than one typically sees in a local newspaper.

Thanks Derrel, I am trying to get good quality images for the paper and they have been happy with what I've provided this last 4-5 months.

Nice shots Ron, I shot a few matches last year and hope to do more soon. It is a great sport to photograph.

Thanks Bill. It has been a long time since I've been to a wrestling match, so I had to relearn some things as I went.

Most reactions

Back