Most shocking thing you have learned about your ancestors

Stehay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Most shocking for me was that my great great grandfather was in jail for robbery.

My ancestors actually had their own castle in Germany. They were tax collectors and so very closely tied with the local royalty. That is until there was this Catholic monk by the name of Martin Luther running around with some crazy ideas. My ancestors decided they liked what Luther was saying, but the local authorities didn't, so the king took away their position as tax collector and they lost both income and the castle.

Despite the loss of a castle (not to mention the time passed since then), we're still Lutheran.

Does anyone know how to find out more about your heritage and where you come from if you grew up as say an orphan and don't know your father's last name?

Nothing shocking that I know of, guess my ancestors were boring. Actually, we are descended from one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. On the other side we're descended from the last anglo saxon king who got conquered by William the Conqueror. Bummer, there goes any relation to any royalty with castles and what not.

I've seen commercials for some type of DNA testing (I think, didn't pay that much attention to it) that can show what someone's background is.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back