Most used mode?

Manual is often not the best exposure mode when the subject is moving throug rapidly-changing lighting conditions. Like inside of stadiums, or on racetracks, where the subject matter is moving quite fast,and often moves from the shade, into bright sunlight. Many stadiums have one side of the field that is in deep shade, the other brilliant sunlight. Under those conditions, Aperture priority automatic makes the most sense, and is actually what many experienced shooters will use. Whwen you have a big lens on a monopod,and are following action, it's just simpler, and smarter, to allow the camera to set the shutter speed as the subject moves from one lighting condition to another.

Anybody who has shot much inside of sports stadiums is familiar with this type of situation. The 200 meters is a prime example: the race begins at the turn, which is in open sunlight, but as the runners come around the corner, they are in the shade of the stadium. You will have 8 seconds in which to shoot as many frames as you can...you do not have time to adjust the exposure....and guess what...at the FINISH line, that is often in the sunlight.

GO to a world class track and field stadium like Hayward field, where the Olympic trials have been held a couple of times....that stadium is the typical "main grandstand on west, track oriented North and South layout that literally thousands of football stadiums and track stadiums follow. Most people realize that it;s more important to get the correct exposure than it is to feel smug about how the exposure is set.

:lol:

Well for me I guess I don't think as fast as you do so I switch between Manual and Aperature Priority.

I am sure part of it is I shoot 35mm, medium and large format and there is no auto 4x5 yet!!

I tried using all manual in a gig a few years back thinking I was the man....disaster! :lol:

I'm particular with using manual though during receptions with off camera flash setups or when I want certain effects where the shot isn't critical. However in a ceremony where the key shots can't be missed I tend to go with AV. Portraiture I'm pretty comfortable with Manual as well but my brain priortizes thinking of the composition, the angle, lighting so I tend to use AV just to make my life easier.

Manual is often not the best exposure mode when the subject is moving throug rapidly-changing lighting conditions. Like inside of stadiums, or on racetracks, where the subject matter is moving quite fast,and often moves from the shade, into bright sunlight. Many stadiums have one side of the field that is in deep shade, the other brilliant sunlight. Under those conditions, Aperture priority automatic makes the most sense, and is actually what many experienced shooters will use. Whwen you have a big lens on a monopod,and are following action, it's just simpler, and smarter, to allow the camera to set the shutter speed as the subject moves from one lighting condition to another.

Anybody who has shot much inside of sports stadiums is familiar with this type of situation. The 200 meters is a prime example: the race begins at the turn, which is in open sunlight, but as the runners come around the corner, they are in the shade of the stadium. You will have 8 seconds in which to shoot as many frames as you can...you do not have time to adjust the exposure....and guess what...at the FINISH line, that is often in the sunlight.

GO to a world class track and field stadium like Hayward field, where the Olympic trials have been held a couple of times....that stadium is the typical "main grandstand on west, track oriented North and South layout that literally thousands of football stadiums and track stadiums follow. Most people realize that it;s more important to get the correct exposure than it is to feel smug about how the exposure is set.

:thumbup: I love manual but sometimes, it's a pain in the butt. Aperture Priority is what I like to use when I'm in that situation, you'll have a pretty good idea what the shutterspeed is gonna be and let the camera fine tune it for you. You can also bump your ISO a bit if you want to make sure that the shutter doesn't go below a certain number.

'Complete control'

AKA a waste of time if all you are doing is zeroing the exposure if you ask me. It has its purpose, however it's not the only way to fly and have control either.

I really don't understand that point, but whatever works for you - I guess that's what mattes in the end.

Sometimes it seems as those who shoot all manual, all the time have a chip on their shoulder.

No offense to those who just prefer it, but I get a bad vibe in these kinds of threads that just screams superiority complex.

It works for you, perfect... it works for me as well, but like I said - if all I'm doing is adjusting my aperture to f/2.8 and matching my shutter speed for a proper exposure, why bother - the camera can do the same thing instantly. I don't care how fast you are, the camera can do it faster with the same end result.

But now that we're on the subject it serves as a reminder to me it's about time for my week long manual only challenge I try to get in now and then just as a 'get re-aquainted with my camera' session. :D

Shoot a white building on aperature or shutter priority and see how UNDEREXPOSED your image comes out. This is where manual comes out on top.

I will use A priority if the object is moving from bright to dark setting fast and I am not able to change fast, other than that, I'm shooting manual

~Michael~

Manual.

It's like learning a language. If you use crutches, you're not going to get good at it.

If you don't you'll be fluent quicker and do better at it.

I said in quoted text one:
N0YZE said:
if all you are doing is zeroing the exposure
...and quoted text two:
N0YZE said:
if all I'm doing is adjusting my aperture to f/2.8 and matching my shutter speed for a proper exposure

You then said:
iflynething said:
Shoot a white building on aperature or shutter priority and see how UNDEREXPOSED your image comes out. This is where manual comes out on top.

As you can see, in both of the examples you quoted I clarified my point.

The photo would be exposed the exact same in each case unless your camera is a custom model that has a more accurate meter for manual mode. As far as I know neither one of your cameras have this magical dual meter option.

Regardless, this is where the exposure compensation feature comes in - and shines. Lets say (for example) I'm shooting a white building in aperture priority mode and I find my photos are underexposed, I can simply dial in a little exposure compensation and voila! :D

Another example I use quite often... again, in aperture priority mode (as you can see, this is my go to mode). Let's say I'm walking about shooting some landscapes and a flock of birds takes off, my shutter speed at the current aperture isn't fast enough to stop the action - I can quickly change my ISO or aperture and automatically bring my shutter speed up to the task. The same holds true to slow the shutter speed - very quick and efficient.

Furthermore; if you shoot in RAW format auto white balance isn't an issue either since it can be changed later in post processing (if necessary).

I fail to see in these situations how I have any less control than I would in manual to be quite honest. I feel I know even more about my camera and its features by shooting this way, and to me - that's using it to it's full potential.

And it's aperture, not aperature - just FYI.

Last edited:
I shoot aperture priority probably 80% of the time with 10/10% split between shutter priority and manual.

For most situations, aperture priority in conjunction with spinning the exposure compensation dial does the same thing for me as manual mode but it's just faster.

Not saying manual mode doesn't work, but it's not always the best option (takes time for one thing). If all you're doing is adjusting the exposure to be 'correct' you can let the camera do this automatically or use exposure compensation and have almost instant feedback.

N0YZE said:
What other reasons? You say that like I said somewhere that there are tons of reasons why it's better not to shoot manual.

You did say it.

And I like to play a game with myself, if I am shooting for fun. I will set the exposure before checking it to see how close I am, I have gotten pretty good at it.

I'm curious. Do you also use the flash head manually?

Not saying manual mode doesn't work, but it's not always the best option (takes time for one thing). If all you're doing is adjusting the exposure to be 'correct' you can let the camera do this automatically or use exposure compensation and have almost instant feedback.

N0YZE said:
What other reasons? You say that like I said somewhere that there are tons of reasons why it's better not to shoot manual.

You did say it.

And I like to play a game with myself, if I am shooting for fun. I will set the exposure before checking it to see how close I am, I have gotten pretty good at it.

Yes, I do.

I always shoot av whiule I am useing the the cameras built in light sensor. If I am shooting night starts I use manual and mess with it until I like the exposure. I do rarely use sutter priority but not nearly as must as av or manual. Peace im out.
Wes

Yes, I do.

Well, I'm impressed. Of course, what do I know? I bought a Rambler once!

Thanks but if you do something long enough it becomes second nature.

I will say that I think it is a good game for up and coming photographers to try to guess what their exposure is in any given situation. It helps you to read the light. Give it a try, it really isn't as hard as you think.

Yes, I do.

Well, I'm impressed. Of course, what do I know? I bought a Rambler once!

Thanks but if you do something long enough it becomes second nature.

I will say that I think it is a good game for up and coming photographers to try to guess what their exposure is in any given situation. It helps you to read the light. Give it a try, it really isn't as hard as you think.

I did that regularly at the same time that I manually adjusted the choke on my car. I wasn't kidding when I said that I also opened the lens manually to focus and then closed it manually to take the shot.

I do not agree with you regarding the benefit today. I use aperture priority with auto-bracketing for maybe 75% of my shots, shutter priority perhaps 10%. Full-manual with auto-flash control for the remainder. Works for me.

I couldn't focus manually today if my life depended on it. I was spoiled by the split image with surrounding prism in the viewfinder (which I haven't seen since before most of the TPF members were on this earth).

Most reactions

Back