mostly automotive - my photos

No offense taken at all, I completely understand what you are saying. I don't have the same skills you have in PS, I freely admit it, but my point is, at some point it has to cease to be a photograph and become a "creation". So what is that point?

I wouldn't say it was a crossing of a line that exceeds "my" knowledge. That is a bit arrogant, frankly, but I do get what you are trying to say. It's not about my skills, or anyone else's really, it's strictly about the point where it does cross.

I'm not arguing against it being art, because it certainly is and your images are fabulous. I love them, but is it correct to compare your work to someone else's and say you are a better photographer because you have better PS skills?

You decide where you put the line. I don't consider many of my shots photographs, but I'm no less proud of them for that reason. The photograph is only my starting point in digital photography.

I'm not arguing against it being art, because it certainly is and your images are fabulous. I love them, but is it correct to compare your work to someone else's and say you are a better photographer because you have better PS skills?

Well.. Is a photographer - who is skilled enough in post processing that he can show you a final result that's very close to how he imagined the end result in his head when he took the picture - a worse photographer than some one who can only imagine it, but can't show it? Is a lack of skill making anyone a better photographer? And what about some of the well known photographers out there who brings a whole crew that handles lighting, costume, make-up etc - really produces a scene - and then sends the photos to a professional post processing company... Are they all hacks and wanna-be's? Or is it a reason they can afford all that? Is photography really just about adjusting the basic things like contrast and color, and everything else is fake made-up nonsense? Or do we need to go hardcore and say anything else but pure unedited RAW files are a false prophecy ;)

But, I separate processing skills and photography skills as two different things. We have to be able to account for all the photographers that came before all of us, years ago before PS, or computers, or digital existed and they, through use of nothing but photography equipment managed incredible work.

To me, enhancing a photo by bumping up saturation, sharpening or what you'd probably consider the mundane processing is worlds apart from masking in a completely different sky that was not part of the original photo, or "hand drawing" a new background, or the like. To me, when you add major elements to the original that were never part of the photo that's when it starts to be less about photography and more about creating art.

PS is a very powerful tool and in the hands of someone skilled they could completely create a "photo" without ever touching a camera. I'm NOT saying that you do, but it can be done.

Someone could be a great photographer and a lousy photoshopper, or they could be a lousy photographer and a great photoshopper, or great at both. I do think you are very good at both. In my opinion, a lot of your car photos lean more toward creations, which definitely showcases your photoshopping skills, but the photos of the headphones are the opposite. Those are great photos. Did you process them in PS, I'm sure you did, but (unless you've totally fooled us) those were more about enhancement than complete creation of something different than what you shot.

I hope that makes sense and I hope you don't take it the wrong way. Again, I really do like your work and look forward to seeing more of it.

Ok, well, we've discussed it and I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree. I see a very marked difference between a great photo and a great picture, but frankly it doesn't really matter as the end result is what counts I guess.

Thanks for the discussion guys and gals.

But, I separate processing skills and photography skills as two different things. We have to be able to account for all the photographers that came before all of us, years ago before PS, or computers, or digital existed and they, through use of nothing but photography equipment managed incredible work.

To me, enhancing a photo by bumping up saturation, sharpening or what you'd probably consider the mundane processing is worlds apart from masking in a completely different sky that was not part of the original photo, or "hand drawing" a new background, or the like. To me, when you add major elements to the original that were never part of the photo that's when it starts to be less about photography and more about creating art.

PS is a very powerful tool and in the hands of someone skilled they could completely create a "photo" without ever touching a camera. I'm NOT saying that you do, but it can be done.

Someone could be a great photographer and a lousy photoshopper, or they could be a lousy photographer and a great photoshopper, or great at both. I do think you are very good at both. In my opinion, a lot of your car photos lean more toward creations, which definitely showcases your photoshopping skills, but the photos of the headphones are the opposite. Those are great photos. Did you process them in PS, I'm sure you did, but (unless you've totally fooled us) those were more about enhancement than complete creation of something different than what you shot.

I hope that makes sense and I hope you don't take it the wrong way. Again, I really do like your work and look forward to seeing more of it.

Well, let me give you my last 2 cents before we leave the discussion :)

Before photoshop you had different type films and chemicals in darkrooms to enhance images. Post processing isn't something that came about with photoshop or the digital age.

As far as how you differentiate between "photography" and "creating art", I agree with you. But by that definition, I'm a photographer to you ;) Almost none of my images have stuff added to them: it's almost always just what was there, but enhanced. So I think we agree about what is photography, and what is a "creation". It's just that you probably think I do more stuff to my picures than I actually do (?) I can do a quick walkthrough of the images on my webpage and mention those who are more than just color/contrast/exposure (or just blacked out part of the image - I.e: simple things):

Marius Aasheim
nothing added to any photos

Marius Aasheim
image 2 (from the top): the background has been mirrored and then blended with parts of what was there because one side wasn't nice at all.
image 5: hand drawn background, skies are a patchwork of two or three different pictures I took

Marius Aasheim
image 1: flames from 3 images blended into the image you're seeing (we couldn't light everything on fire at the same time)
image 9: mirrored and edited background

Marius Aasheim
image 10: the original image was cut in half and mirrored (top/bottom)

Marius Aasheim
image 5: image rotated 90 degrees and then mirrored.
last image: cut in half down the middle and mirrored (and it's a paprika for those who're curious :))

Marius Aasheim
nothing added

Marius Aasheim
nothing added

Marius Aasheim
the next to last image: I think the lensflare was added
the last image: the sun was added

Marius Aasheim
image 10: the background is edited a lot, chopped up and some stuff to remove a lot of people who where in the way.

Marius Aasheim
image 3: I think the original image had some cars parked in the background that I removed.

Marius Aasheim
nothing added

Marius Aasheim
nothing added

Marius Aasheim
nothing added

Marius Aasheim
nothing added

Marius Aasheim
image 1: slight flare added
image 4 (the diablo): the sky is a picture i took at home

eventgatebil
some flare added to a few pictures.

I might have missed a thing or two because I just skimmed through everything quickly, but I think I caught most of it.

Bought a D5100 with the 18-55 VR kit lens. Seeing as I rearly shoot anything anymore, I'm planning on downgrading all my gear to just the d5100 with the 18-55. Maybe keep the 50mm f1.4 + f2.8 macro.. Anyways, had had to test it out... d5100 @ 55mm / ISO 200 / F5.6

d5100.jpg

http://www.mariusaasheim.net/bilder/d5100.jpg

really?! downgrade to a 5100.. wow! Thats quite the switch, sad to hear.

Also great shot of the bee- quite impressive semi-macro shot with the 5100 and stock lens

Used the d700 for these... my summer car (that never gets used, because we never have any summer here...), and my audeze lcd-3's and darksiders II skull...

$z307.jpg

$darklcd.jpg

Once again outstanding work mate. Never mind downgrading get that D800/D4 ordered. My dad loves his D800 so far, I've had a little play with it and the detail you get is unbelievable. The D300 is more than enough for my skills. The shot of your BM looks so clean if you get what I mean. Have you still got your D700 and fx lenses or have they all gone now. Keep those photos coming mate.

Chris.

Thanks. The d300 is a very nice camera that'll get you far. Had it before the d700 and loved it. I still have all my gear because I've promised to take some pictures of a car a friend is working on that's going to be featured in a magazine. And in october the trackday where kids from hospitals all over gets invited to ride along with all drivers for free, free hotdogs, free ice cream etc etc (Marius Aasheim) is beeing held - and I'm keeping the gear to do that event as much justice as I can. But after that I'm selling all the FX gear unless something unforseen comes up.

Had to take my car out of the garage today as it's been sitting there un-used for weeks. Killed 2 birds with 1 stone and grabbed the nikon d5100 and 18-55vr lens and took a shot of the car while I was out:
z309.jpg
While it sure isn't a d700, and the 18-55 can't come near the 24-70 f2.8 by any stretch of the imagination, it's perfectly OK.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back