mounting lenses on canon

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by calciumwaves, Jul 18, 2010.

1. calciumwaves

calciumwaves TPF Noob!

hey everyone. i was given some lenses as hand-me-downs and was trying to find adapters to mount onto a canon rebel x body. the first is a vivitar 135mm f/2.8. second is a panagor pmc auto tele zoom 75~205mm f/3.5. the third is a nikkor h 28mm f/3.5. i'm under the impression that the nikkor h is for a nikon f body, but i wanted to see if i could get some sort of confirmation. i'll post an edit with pictures of the mounts, in case that helps. thank you everyone.

p.s. sorry if this is in the wrong area. don't know my way around :X

EDIT: here are the pictures. first is vivitar, second is panagor. sorry about quality, only had my camera phone around.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Nikkor is absolutely Nikon. I'd check with someone like Adorama for adapters.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    An excellent source for adapters is Fotodiox and their web site. The Nikkor-H 28/3.5 was introduced in 1959, and after 1967 the Nikkor-H 28mm model was updated to the H.C. designation, which stood for Hex (ie, six, or 6-element design) and C for multi-Coated.

The Panagor zoom might actually be decent!

Adapters that say they are brass or bronze and which are chrome-plated usually feel better made and fit better than the cheaper aluminum adapters. F-mount to EOS mount adapters are pretty simple to make. Most of them are made in China or Taiwan,and many eBay vendor sell adapters. I own a bunch of them,and they work pretty well,within their limitations.

4. calciumwaves

calciumwaves TPF Noob!

Thanks for the replies. I read something just yesterday that said the panagor may belong to a minolta, and somewhere else that the vivitar has a k mount for pentax cameras. Can anyone confirm?

5. Petraio Prime

Petraio Prime TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All in all, this is probably not worth the trouble. The lenses won't couple properly for metering or diaphragm activation, and you'll have to fiddle with them to use them at all. Some won't focus to infinity.

Only a masochist would do this.

This is among the commonest questions people ask about lenses and bodies. Camera companies long ago made their mounts incompatible with one another so that you could not easily mount their competitors' lenses on their bodies.

You'd be better off to sell or otherwise dispose of these lenses and get something made for the Rebel.

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The Panagor may be a Minolta lens; like Vivitar (and Tokina, Tamron and Sigma today) they made lenses for most of the 35mm bodies on the market. All I can for sure looking at it is that it definitely isn't Nikon, and I don't believe it's a Canon or Pentax either.

7. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

The 2nd photo is kind of bad ... it is hard to see what the mount looks like.