Moved to FX. Need a "budget" low power wide-telephoto lens

with the older f/2.8 lenses you'll find that they are actually smaller and generally lighter than the current f/2.8 lenses due to less thick plastics, internal lens motor thus larger size, etc etc. for similar range.

below pic has left to right: Nikon 35-70mm f/3.5 AI, 35-70mm f/3.5 AI-s, (middle one) 35-70mm f/2.8 AF-D, 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S and 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S (far Right).

picture from Nikon Pro Normal Zoom Comparison
pro-zooms-D3R_5151-950.jpg

Also my 35-70 /2.8 AF-D was a push-pull.
There were several in the generation where they improved the coating, but mine I think was the last "version" and had some awful glare problems when pointed in the direction of the sun. It certainly was sharp though.

I used FX lenses on FX and DX camera bodies.
DX lenses are only for DX camera bodies (though can be used on FX with certain limitations).
also some DX cameras (such as the d3x00 and d5x00 series) do not have the focus motor for these older AF/AF-D lenses and would have to be used manually.

but many of my FX lenses are AF-D lenses.
I currently use
80-200/2.8 AF-D
18-35 AF-D
24-85 /2.8-4.0 AF-D
as a low cost "trinity"

personally, I didn't like the modern lenses due to size and weight. So I stuck to some older lenses for lighter weight and smaller size. They are cheaper, but also are not as high quality as modern optics.

Last edited:
Now that's some good info. Thank you.

Having an internal motor was a big selling point for me for the 610 body.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Now that's some good info. Thank you.

Having an internal motor was a big selling point for me for the 610 body.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ive never owned a Nikon DSLR that didnt have a built in motor. started with the D100 shortly after it was released and since i had a bunch of AF and AF-D lenses, always upgraded to bodies with the motor so i could still use autofocus with those lenses. my last cameras before switching to fuji were a pair of D600's...still using my AF and AF-D lenses.

Oh, your post implied that you no longer had the use of it. You can use it. Your new camera will know what to do with it.
I didn't think I could use it anymore. I thought you could use FX on DX but not really the other way around.

My wife has a 5600, I was just going to let her have it.

I still use my 18-55 and 55-200 DX kit lenses on the D750. The camera will change to crop-mode when the lenses are mounted, but you can over-ride it and actually shoot in FX mode, though the results can be a bit "artistic" (ignore the color - I shot through a green filter) - 18-55 at 18mm.

Considering cost and size, I think the 24-85 3.5-4.5 G provides very acceptable results, and has VR

No post sharpening
kandb-1-46_26881851167_o.jpg

The best budget full frame Nikon lens I know of is the 24-85 VR. It can be had for $300 or less. Incredible image quality, awesome image stabilization and you have that 24mm wide end. When you stop this lens down, it's very sharp.

I know it's not a 2.8 but a f/3.5-4.5 isn't all that bad considering some budget mid range zooms are 3.5-5.6.

I have the 24-120 f/4 that came as a kit lens with my D750. I am very satisfied with it. Also, as others have mentioned, the 24-85 3.5-4.5 can be bought used for a reasonable price.

Check the prices on mpb.com. You get warranty on everything used. I like the Tamron 28-70 F2.8 idea, for you. I owned one. Great lens!

This has been an informative thread. Have been using a Nikon D3200 for the past 5 years. Tomorrow I have a chance to buy a Nikon D610 at a very reasonable price. Would like to have an all purpose lens to start out with. Something that is lower in price. I do not mind older or manual lenses. Would be curious to know what your experience has been with the Nikon D610 and the lens you like using with it.

Thank you,

Lonnie

how wide do you need/want to go?
you wont need as wide on fx if you are sticking with what you had on dx.

i had the old non-vc tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and loved it.
for wider shots i had a sigma 17-35 f2.8-4, which was also pretty old, but worked really well.
the older nikon 35-70 f2.8 D can be found pretty cheaply on ebay now, and does as good now as it ever did in its prime.

if your used to 24mm as your "wide end" on a dx camera then 35mm on fx is pretty much the same field of view. not the same focal length mind you,
just the same "field of view"... so either lens will get you where you need to be.

for wider than that, the tokina 16-28 f2.8 atx pro is an FX lens and is on ebay for around $500.

I forgot that I essentially bought the same set-up you had right after you sold yours, haha.

That 17-35mm has served me pretty well too...you might be able to find both for less than $400 total, honestly...

some wide-angle action...

31676973781_ba5ceefcce_b.jpg

Both of these lenses are more than adequate, especially stopped down a bit and with good ISO on the D600.

This is a very nice picture! What camera and lens was it taken with?

for wider shots i had a sigma 17-35 f2.8-4, which was also pretty old, but worked really well.
the older nikon 35-70 f2.8 D can be found pretty cheaply on ebay now, and does as good now as it ever did in its prime.

if your used to 24mm as your "wide end" on a dx camera then 35mm on fx is pretty much the same field of view. not the same focal length mind you,
just the same "field of view"... so either lens will get you where you need to be.

for wider than that, the tokina 16-28 f2.8 atx pro is an FX lens and is on ebay for around $500.

I forgot that I essentially bought the same set-up you had right after you sold yours, haha.

That 17-35mm has served me pretty well too...you might be able to find both for less than $400 total, honestly...

Both of these lenses are more than adequate, especially stopped down a bit and with good ISO on the D600.

D600 and the Tamron 17-35mm.

D600 and the Tamron 17-35mm.

The clarity is awesome!

This has been an informative thread. Have been using a Nikon D3200 for the past 5 years. Tomorrow I have a chance to buy a Nikon D610 at a very reasonable price. Would like to have an all purpose lens to start out with. Something that is lower in price. I do not mind older or manual lenses. Would be curious to know what your experience has been with the Nikon D610 and the lens you like using with it.

Thank you,

Lonnie

Forget a manual lens. Today's autofocus cameras are not as easy to focus manual lenses as the older cameras.
Just get an autofocus lens. If the D610 can focus an mechanical AF lens, that is a lower cost option.
Look at the 28-85 or 28-105 lenses.​

Would like to thank everyone for the advice. I think it might be wise to just wait. I need to put the right lens on a good camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back