Moving up- Choosing DSLR...

SCguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First, I know... I've searched and researched all over the internet for at least 50 hours so far. I have narrowed down my picks to two cameras.

Canon Rebel XSI

Pros: Better image quality and resolution
Faster AF
Bigger system with more room to upgrade
Faster burst rate
Bigger LCD

Cons: Cheap body (I just do not like the body, the grip does not fit me well)
More expensive lenses with IS
More expensive

Pentax K200D/K10D

Pros: Fit (the K200D feels awesome in my hands! Feels better quality and more substantial)
In body IS
Weathersealing
Compatibility with older lenses
Cheaper
I like the Top mount LCD

Cons: Slower AF
Slower FPS rate
so-so JPEG's
IQ worse than the XSi
Not as much industry support

I like to shoot what I call industrial decay, or just pictures of Nature taking back over. My friends would like me to shoot some portraits (not studio mainly outdoor) I also would like to be able to shoot some football and maybe some volleyball. Both cameras seem to have fairly equal ISO performance. I have bigger hands, and don't really mind a little extra weight.

So far I have played with the E-420, Rebel XS, Rebel XSi, EOS 50D, K200D, D40, D60, and am going to try a D80 soon. I figured I need to actually see how the camera fits me before I drop $6-700 in it.

Or should I forget about these, save up a few more months and get a 40D?

Any advice is wanted!

RD

All I can offer is my two cents, because it really is a personal choice. But it sounds like you might not be really happy with either of those choices -- it sounds like the XSI is too small for you, and you don't seem to like the images or autofocus of the Pentax.

Personally, I think the answer is the 40D -- you can get one for $836.95 right now, so it's not that much more expensive than the XSI. (Or you could get it with the 28-135 for $950 -- some people find that insufficiently wide, though, so your mileage may vary).

Alternatively, if you need one now and can't swing the 40D, you can probably find a 30D used for significantly less -- and it's still a fantastic camera.

In general, my view is that it's better to wait a little bit and get a camera you'll be happy with, rather than to get one now that's a significant compromise. You want a camera that you're going to be pleased with for several years -- not a camera that you get and immediately start wishing for the next one.

If you feel like you'll be happy with either of the choices you list...great, you're set. But if not, I'd wait and get the one you really want.

Where do you get that the K200D is worse IQ wise than the XSI? And the jpeg thing is easily fixable with a few adjustments in the menu... And also remember with the K200D, you get IS with ANY lens you attach...Even ancient M42 lenses..

Going rate for 30D bodies on ebay is $400 to $500. Not a bad deal. I got one. I like my 30D. Just remember yer buying old tech and when you compare it to the 40D and 50D, you may be a little regretful you didn't spend the extra coin for the new features. Also make sure you buy good glass.

I'm of the opinion that the IS feature is a waste of time and space.

-JD-

or a used 40d. they are the same price as an xsi.

I say go with the Pentax. I think they are back in the game for real. I think they and Nikon kind of sat on their laurels not watching the store. And Canon shot right by them waving their finger. They are now back on the bike. Even though I am a Nikon / sometime Canon shooter. I was glad to see Pentax make a go of the digital DSLRs. It will take a couple more years for them to get some respect back that they used to have. But I think buying into their system is ok.

As for the AF speed, is that necessary for your still life work? I wouldn't think so (if its that big of a difference anyway). Micro seconds might matter to a techno geek, or maybe race car photog. But for majority of people, I would bet its quite fine. The better build of the body is a plus for me. And just remember. There is always MF! What did the pros do before there was AF. They managed to get great shots. AF speed is just a number for advertising, or a crutch!

I like the Pentax system. How big is the size difference between the K10D and the K200D? I like the K10D better because of the dual dials and pentaprism viewfinder. Is it more the size of the 50D? My ideal size is probably between the 50D and the K200D. I read somewhere that the K200D IS works better. True?

Thanks,

RD

OK, thanks for the advice. I bought a K10D. It comes with a free Promaster 75-150mm f3.8 MF lens. I don't mind the MF, but is it a decent lens?

Also, I'm now in the market for a new tripod. I need one that can support at least the weight of a K10D with a 70-300mm lens on it. Any suggestions? Price range is ~$80.

RD

Have any places near you that sell used camera gear? I don't think you can get a decent tripod NEW for $80. I bought a used manfrotto 3001 from a local shop for $60, and bought a new ( but not that great ) ball head for $40, so $100 total invested..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back