Must Have Photography Books

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by SoulfulRecover, Jan 3, 2017.

1. click1911

click1911 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Years ago I bought the Time Life Library of Photography. Got it where they sent one volume every couple months so the cost did not kill me. Later I found, liked, and bought a couple of Alfred A. Blaker's books; "Handbook for Scientific Photography" and "Field Photography Beginning and Advanced Techniques".

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. click1911

click1911 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    And forgot that another great book is one on the camera you have. I had a couple simple point and shoot digital cameras but when I got into digital SLRs I went to a book store and looked at a couple books specific to the camera I had purchased. For me what I selected was David Busch's "Canon EOS REBEL T3i/600D Digital SLR Photography" book. For me these cameras are so complex compared to what I had used before (Nikon, Cannon, Pentax and Olympus 35mm SLRs) it was a worthwhile purchase.

3. Frank F.

Frank F. engineering art Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Good idea. I bough the Tom Hogan book for my D500. Then I read the Chapter about the AF-System. After that I had the feeling I need liquid cooling for my brains and I am used to a lot having studied Physics and working as a science writer. Very complex system, only slightly logical. Not Tom's fault but Nikon's....

• Like Like x 1
  4. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The education of a photographer. - Charles Traub

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    OMG--I read that entire series of books in the mid-1970s and early 1980's as a kid. It had so much great information. I loved The Camera, The Studio, Color, Special Problems, The Darkroom,The Great Themes, and Photojournalism the most. It was a fantastic series of books, undoubtedly! I loved also The Amateur Photographer's Handbook, the various John Hedgecoe books (32 titles), and Harry S. Asher's old book which was named Scientific Principles of Photography. The History of Photography is another interesting title.

Lots of books out there, filled with great photography too. The Rolleiflex Photography Annual is an interesting series: almost ALL the images will be in square, Rollei 6x6 cm aspect, and most all were shot with either a Rolleiflex or Rolleicord, with either the 75mm or 80mm normal lenses. Only the rare examples would be with the wide- or tele-rollie cameras. These books were from the 1950's. The 1958 issue is superb. Kind of "the best images from one year" type books. Similar are old "Photo Annual" magazines of 200,250 pages. Fascinating to look at. Sort of the Instagram Square, but decades earlier.

Thrift shops have a TON of large picture books, often $3-$4 each. Most of the 50 United States, and all regions, and ALL the continents have been chronicled in books, back in the day when photographers were sent on 3-week to 120-day to six-month assignments, so they could get a real, true feel for the area they were shooting.

A Day in The Life of America, A Day in the Life of Australia, neat photo books, like time capsules.

The cool thing is to look at old books, and see 250 people in a public square, and NOT ONE of them is isolated and dicking around with a phone. people doing stuff like, gasp, talking to one another, or reading a newspaper, or working on a puzzle, etc..

• Like Like x 3
  6. SoulfulRecover

SoulfulRecover No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Great suggestions! Im hoping this thread sticks around for others to find

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. r0r5ch4ch

r0r5ch4ch TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I liked a lot "Photography Composition & Design - a fun approach for serious artists". Explains a lot about composition with really nice street photography.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drive-By-Shooter

Drive-By-Shooter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  9. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit
    One of the largest bookstores in the world is located here in Portland. Powell's City of Books. It takes up half of a city block and has multiple levels. Search online at Powell's for amazing photography titles, from the mundane, to the obscure, to the truly rare.

A UK fellow sent me a very old book called The Focal Encyclopedia of Photography. It was given to him 20 years earlier and he passed it on to me about 15 years ago. It is one of the thickest books I have ever seen. It is one of the most unusual books you will likely see:the entire field of photography ,as it stood years ago, in one, single encyclopedic volume that must weigh oh, around four and a half pounds, and is 1,298 pages and over 4 inches thick.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The most interesting one I ever seen was rare reference books located in the main library in downtown Chicago. They were images from the civil war depicting surgical procedures, surgical instruments, civil war camps, aftermath of battles, and so on. Fascinating images and text. I believe Matthew Brady was the largest contruting photographer. It took me months of visits to get through the huge volumes. I had no interest in photography then, just stumbled across it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dave442

Dave442 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Great books, thanks for sharing. I did pick up Photography by London a few years back, now watching the video classes by Marc Levoy and he has sent me back to that book as reading assignments. I downloaded The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby when I first got a DSLR and found that a very easy book to read if you just want to know when to apply some of those great camera features you have been reading about in the camera manual.