My first 2023 shots are... birds... are you surprised?

jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used the Sigma 150-600mm C for these shots. The auto-focus seems to be a bit off, or it may just be my eyes. It was overcast. The Goldfinches made a repeat visit, which was nice. I almost think my Tamron 18-400mm takes crisper photos, and I can crop and enlarge with better effect. Not sure yet.

1 American Goldfinch #1
jan06202301 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

2 American Goldfinch #2
jan06202302 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

3 Northern Mockingbird having a drink
jan06202303 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

4 Dark-eyed Junco
jan06202304 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Great start. Keep 'em coming.

I have the 150-600 C also. It was a little off, so I made some shots of my focus triangle, hooked it up to my dock, and made the needed adjustment.

Nice shots!

#1 and #4 may be a little off, but it looks like the camera grabbed the metal hook and the 2X4 instead of the birds. Not sure it's the lens, maybe just AF grabbing on to the things with the straightest edges. OTOH, I've been known to be wrong once or twice... nah.

Great start. Keep 'em coming.
Thank you!
I have the 150-600 C also. It was a little off, so I made some shots of my focus triangle, hooked it up to my dock, and made the needed adjustment.
Thanks! From everything I've read, it is better to send a zoom lens to the manufacturer for calibration, although I suspect with a little practice, the lens can be calibrated at 50 or 100mm intervals. Will have to do some more research.
Nice shots!

#1 and #4 may be a little off, but it looks like the camera grabbed the metal hook and the 2X4 instead of the birds. Not sure it's the lens, maybe just AF grabbing on to the things with the straightest edges. OTOH, I've been known to be wrong once or twice... nah.
Yep. I need to pay more attention to what it being focused on. These shots were done on a tripod, no less.
Nice series. The third shot is my favourite.
Thank you!

Nominated @1 for POTM. I love how the curve goes towards the bird

Yep. I need to pay more attention to what it being focused on. These shots were done on a tripod, no less.
I'm not sure there's anything you can do, sometimes AF just misses on it's own. I chalk it up to the price of automation. Nice shots regardless!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back