My first attempt at portraits (college formal pictures)

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by BadRotation, May 14, 2005.

1. BadRotation

BadRotation TPF Noob!

Well, my sister is going to a college formal with her boyfriend (which is her first boyfriend I actually like, since she usually hangs out with the bad crowd. She says she thinks he is the one, and his family is here for two days, hanging out with our family since they are from out of state)

Anyways, this is my very first attempt at portraits. I used natural light, since I dont have any flashes or lights yet.

What do you guys think?

I know I have a few shadows in there.

They are also very pixelated, since I used a crappy batch resizer on them. The originals are very sharp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BadRotation

BadRotation TPF Noob!

nobody wants to comment?

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice. I definately prefer the green background to the light background. The color seems just a smidge off; too yellow or something. Possibly more shade would have allowed for wider eyes.

4. LRJ

LRJ TPF Noob!

Great for your first try!! some nice poses - it seems like they're struggling to keep their eyes open with the bright sun and all and her necklace is crooked... i like the contrast between the red of the dress and the green background

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    For outdoor portraits of the kind that you decided to take for your first attempt, I have always liked green backgrounds. Green seems to bring out skin colours nicely - which is only out of my experience. I've never "learned" if it does (?). But it seems like the light was too bright and expecially your sister is therefore having very small eyes - she looks like she's squinting all the time.

If only she had looked at you in the first photo, too, that one would have become the winner, in my opinion, despite the fact that that one specifically does NOT have the green background.

Second best are now photos 4 and 5, though in 5 AGAIN your sister doesn't look, while her boyfriend does.

Most atmosphere I can detect in the last, where both don't look but both look in the same direction! Plus I am partial to the position of faces in double-portraits like this one (is there a technical term for the face half-way turned away?)