My first DSLR Camera

Thaash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I registered on this forum to get some advice.

At the moment I am using a simple Olympus SP 560 UZ camera to take photos. I would like to buy a DSLR camera. Preferably a Canon EOS.

I thought of a 50D but some professionals suggested I should rather buy a 7D due to its better ISO capabilities, meaning less crispness in nightphotos with high ISO.

So basically I would like to use my camera for all purposes: nature photos, city photos, portraits, sport and other events, night shots, and so on...

What camera would you recommend me to buy (I cannot afford the high end DSLRs like EOS 5D Mark II and so on...). I am looking in the same price category as the EOS 50D. I am only interested in Canon cameras.

Looking forward for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Balazs from Hungary

... I am only interested in Canon cameras.

Thanks,

Balazs from Hungary

Why Canon? It seems a bit silly to already have a brand preference regarding DSLR cameras when you knowledge of photography is a tad limited.

Thanks,

Balazs from Hungary

Why Canon? It seems a bit silly to already have a brand preference regarding DSLR cameras when you knowledge of photography is a tad limited.

It has mainly 2 reasons:

1. Nikon lenses are more expensive than Canon Lenses
2. One of my friend is an experienced professional photographer, he always works with Canon EOS cameras, and basically every single professional photographer I know, uses them.

I do not say that Canon is better than Nikon, its just a question of preference.

I thought of a 50D but some professionals suggested I should rather buy a 7D due to its better ISO capabilities, meaning less crispness in nightphotos with high ISO.

I'm not sure what you meant by that but "less noise in night photos with high ISO" would be a better way to put it.

Thanks,

Balazs from Hungary

It has mainly 2 reasons:

1. Nikon lenses are more expensive than Canon Lenses
2. One of my friend is an experienced professional photographer, he always works with Canon EOS cameras, and basically every single professional photographer I know, uses them.

I do not say that Canon is better than Nikon, its just a question of preference.

This is not an attempt to change your preference but merely a clarification of what seems to be an incorrect assumption based on rather limited anecdotal evidence (largely for the benefit of other newbies who may be reading this):
Nikon and Canon have similar overall DSLR market share. And given how weak Nikon has been in the low end until very recently and given Nikon's historical focus on the high-end professional market, if you don't know any pros using Nikon it's simply because your sample of professional photographers is very small (i.e. your observation means nothing and is misleading).​

Now, on to your original question... the 50D is being replaced by the just-announced 60D -- in many ways a very different camera from what the 50D was -- but not a bad option for a beginner/amateur in its own right. Take a look at both and see what you think fits your needs better. And if the slightly higher price is not an issue, the 7D is the best option among the crop-sensor Canons.

And finally, make sure you go to a camera store and hold the cameras in your hand before you decide. 50D, 60D and 7D are all slightly different body sizes and weights with differing control layouts -- so what feels more comfortable in your hands may be one of the important deciding factors.

I realize what you said is that you prefer canon, and I am not trying to sell you on Nikon here but there is simply one body that Nikon has that has no relative counterpart from Canon which is the D90. I am a professional and do use Nikon and know many others who do as well. But the two are so close in market share that it really doesn't matter which you opt for. The D90 is a great bang for buck in my opinion. That being said I would tell you go to for the 7D if that price range is better suited for you. The D300s from Nikon is great, but in that case you can stick with the 7D and maintain your preference.

As mentioned above though, you really should look at the 60D and 7D in person, and if you feel like giving Nikon a thought, really check out the D90 for an in-between option from both of those Canon bodies.

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back