My first few attempts, C&C please!

On picture #5. Use a ND filter and stop down to a f/8ish or so setting. Leave the shutter open longer and you will capture the flowing smooth creamy lines of that waterfall adding a amazing sense of motion. Plus it just looks cool. :)

Thanks Sachphotography for taking the time to edit my pictures.

Ive been using a Hoya Skylight filter that came with my camera as I assumed it would be best for outdoor photos, how does this differ from a polarising filter?

A skylight filter is pretty much just glass.. Nothing realy more than that. I use those to protect my lens from damages. A polarizing filter blocks reflected light. Read this
Timothy Edberg Photo Tip: Polarizing Filters
You can create some dramatic shots seem to pop and feel more vivid with a polarizer.

Wow, that certainly makes the colours much more vivid. As nearly all of my pictures are taken outdoors I think its definitely worth the investment. I take it though I would have to take it off if I'm trying to capture reflections in things like water?

Nope. you would simply rotate the filter and it would allow the reflections back. Get a circular polarizer for what you are looking to do. It would be a good investment for outdoors.

Most reactions

Back