My first pics of kids ever

LilyBee

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I want to do more of this.
Im guessing technically there is a lot to be improved?
I hope the compositions are at least ok?

Lily Bee.jpg
LilyBee2.jpg
Lilybee3.jpg

Attachments

• lilybee4.jpg
    lilybee4.jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 138
So you like candids. That's great, I kind of like them too. They each have some issues.

#1 Not nearly enough of the child, and way too much of the adult.
#2 This group shot is not selecting one or two primary subjects upon which to focus one's attention.
#3 Cute shot, but too much extra stuff going on, and you've cropped one foot.
#4 Probably ought to have at least one face showing for interest.

So you like candids. That's great, I kind of like them too. They each have some issues.

#1 Not nearly enough of the child, and way too much of the adult.
#2 This group shot is not selecting one or two primary subjects upon which to focus one's attention.
#3 Cute shot, but too much extra stuff going on, and you've cropped one foot.
#4 Probably ought to have at least one face showing for interest.

All this great advice plus watch your exposure in harsh light - they're all overexposed.

Nice catches of candid moments.
Important areas are overexposed and the resultant images are too black-white with few middle tones.
Composition is decent but framing is off. too much extra space that allows drama to leach away.

LilyBee2lew.jpg

If there are obvious horizontals (benches) or verticals ( walls) make them horizontal or vertical so that the viewer isn't disconcerted by it.

lilybee3lll.jpg

Read about resizing images for the web - The right image sizes for websites
Learn to save for web at about 60% quality or less. Files will be smaller and load faster with little/no loss of quality for viewing.

Very good start, you have an instinct for what is a good shot.
Now get your technical quality up to your artistic eye and you'll be great.

Lew

I agree with the advice above. I like the shots but #1 in particular makes me want to 'look around' the adult with the child overexposed but I like the concept and agree with The_Traveler regarding your instinct.

Shooting in harsh, contrasty light means that you have to decide whether to let the highlights go blown out in order to get important detail in the shadows or to expose for the highlights to capture the detail in the highlights and let the shadows go where they want.
In your shots the centers of interest were in the bright light so expose for them and let the shadows go where they will.
Shoot in raw to have the most dynamic range you can, correct all the tones and contrasts in color before converting to b&w.
I suggest you shoot in aperture preferred and use the exposure compensation setting to adjust for proper highlight or shadow exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back