Train to Venice Italy

Roby_B

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Venice it really a beauty... I'm love this photo because describes a moment one and only
Roby

Attachments

• 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 160
Capture is great, nmicely composed and quite dynamic. :applause:
Onm the other hand you gonna have to work on your exposure system. This pic has very under exposed background, you should throw in at least a stop of negative compensation (shorten the exposure) as you can see, the light meter in your camera is easily fooled by background glare. :bek113:

Onm the other hand you gonna have to work on your exposure system. This pic has very under exposed background, you should throw in at least a stop of negative compensation (shorten the exposure) as you can see, the light meter in your camera is easily fooled by background glare. :bek113:

Can lightroom work for stuff like this? I would want to keep the shadows and texture of the floor just the way it is, but maybe darken the background a bit.

I don't know about lightroom, I heard PS has the dodging and burning tools. And sorry about that, I shoot film only and print wet. The idea of over and under exposure in negative and print are opposites. I treat the picture you present here as a print and in that the background should be burn a bit to get better values. Shorten exposure was a reference to settings for camera as in that situation it would be easier to dodge foreground to this nice values you have there.

Here are a couple inspired by PR's motion photos. I was standing still, hand holding these with a 3 stop ND filter at f/22 to give me a 1/6 and 1/5 second exposure???

Lightroom can do this; just use the highlights slider, that will rein in the brightest areas of the image.

HDR works perfect for this!

Can lightroom work for stuff like this? I would want to keep the shadows and texture of the floor just the way it is, but maybe darken the background a bit.

Digital exposure is different from the age of film with its zone system. Here the dynamic range is high for the sensor, so you should decide what your key tones are in this image and expose for key tones.

The other consideration is how do you treat areas in the shadow that reveal some texture, or textured shadows. Most of the time these are hugely important areas for the final image. In pp you can also decide how you treat the contrast with the simple curves.

I think you are spot on taking care about the floor texture - it works as a connection between the forefront shadows and the brightly lit facades and is the only large area with a smooth gradation of tones. How do you do it is entirely up to you, there are no rights or wrongs, it all depends on your artistic vision.

You can easily darken the bkgnd/increase contrast in Lightroom and do a lot of other things, but it is always better to expose correctly in the first place, because drastic alteration in Lightroom can bring some unnecessary side effects.

As for HDR - a am not a big follower of this photo fashion, it often makes an image less dramatic and natural. Sometimes it looks just great. Anyway it needs to be applied with great caution in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
HDR is a bit difficult with walking people as well.Get lots of shadows. This looks like photoshop to me. Try what Lew said first.

HDR is a bit difficult with walking people as well.Get lots of shadows. This looks like photoshop to me. Try what Lew said first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back