My first picture.

Which do you recommend using while using AF, the 9 point or single point?

Thanks.

It's going to depend on the situation. If you have time to frame your shot and you know exactly where the subject is going to be, single-point is definitely the way to go. However, if you're shooting in a dynamic situation, where the subjects are moving around a lot, or for some other reason you don't have as much time to compose your shot and pick one of the focus points, using the 9-point AF would work just fine.

For instance, landscapes aren't going to move around much on you, so single-point AF allows you to have some control over what the camera chooses to focus on. However, at a kid's birthday party, where your subjects are not only constantly moving, but you're probably moving around a lot as well, 9-point AF might give you a little more freedom to pay attention to the other camera settings, and just let the camera focus on the closest target.

That's something you'll have to decide for yourself. It's a personal preference. I leave mine set to a single point (center). I find it makes it easy for me to focus exactly where I want to.

For instance; if I'm taking a picture of my dog ;), I point the center of the camera at the dogs eyes, hold the shutter button down half way so it focuses, then, while holding the shutter button halfway down, I compose my shot and take the picture. The disadvantage to this method is if I want to take a second picture of the dog, I have to do the process again. In that case, I autofocus on the eyes then switch the lens over to manual focus. That way it will remain focused on the eyes while I take multiple shots (as long as the distance to the dog doesn't change).

I understand. Thank you guys for the replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back