My first picture.

Rambojonil303

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just took my first photo. I don't have editing program only the one that came with Mac. This is with 50 mm. Working on ISO and f stop. Wanted my bracelet to come out all in focus but had my f stop at 2.8 because of low lighting. Should I have put f stop at 4 and used flash ? All suggestions are learning moments for me.

Attachments

• IMG_4304.jpg
    IMG_4304.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
If you need the entire bracelet to be in reasonable focus, you should figure out how much depth of field you need (i.e.; 6 inches for example) and then go to the online DOF calculator:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Working backward from the desired DOF, plug in your variables, such as your camera, lens, and distance to find the aperture you need. Sometimes f/4 will work, sometimes more. It depends.

The best solutioin when a lot of depth of field is needed is to stop the lens down, to f/11 or f/16, and the brace/support/tripod mount the camera so that a slowish shutter speed can be used; Indoors in poor light, f/11 or f/16 might have required 1/2 or 1/4 second without flash, and that would have rendered much more in-focus.

Camera support: table edge, pile of books, upside down bucket, tripod, shelf,etc: anything that can allow you to trip off a slow-speed shot can be used as a camera support.

But yes, flash could have been used, also at f/11 or f/16, and the shot would have been made with plenty more in-focus. Overall howeverm your f/2.8 shot and its shallow depth of field (DOF) looks acceptable.

If you need the entire bracelet to be in reasonable focus, you should figure out how much depth of field you need (i.e.; 6 inches for example) and then go to the online DOF calculator:

Working backward from the desired DOF, plug in your variables, such as your camera, lens, and distance to find the aperture you need. Sometimes f/4 will work, sometimes more. It depends.
Thanks so much for the website. Will absolutely give that a try. Shallow field

Working backward from the desired DOF, plug in your variables, such as your camera, lens, and distance to find the aperture you need. Sometimes f/4 will work, sometimes more. It depends.[/

Thanks so much. I will absolutely check out the calculator and thanks for your suggestions on the f stops. Will be trying this today.

The best solutioin when a lot of depth of field is needed is to stop the lens down, to f/11 or f/16, and the brace/support/tripod mount the camera so that a slowish shutter speed can be used; Indoors in poor light, f/11 or f/16 might have required 1/2 or 1/4 second without flash, and that would have rendered much more in-focus.

Camera support: table edge, pile of books, upside down bucket, tripod, shelf,etc: anything that can allow you to trip off a slow-speed shot can be used as a camera support.

But yes, flash could have been used, also at f/11 or f/16, and the shot would have been made with plenty more in-focus. Overall howeverm your f/2.8 shot and its shallow depth of field (DOF) looks acceptable.
Thanks so much. Was a little worried about putting my f stop at f/ 11 because of not having the flash but i will definitely retake also using flash. Next shall work in my tripod soon. In the mean time great idea on camera support. Something I wouldn't have thought of being new to photography

Okay , still not shooting raw but read up on some things and watched a few of adoramatv. Got familiar with some f stop. Took this with the lense kit at f/ 11 and today I added some flash. And took some advice if I'm trying to shoot the bracelet not to chop off the bottom half of the pic. Last pic of my bracelet t , lol. Feel free to edit so I can see what I need to work on

Attachments

• IMG_4309.JPG
    IMG_4309.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Feel free to edit so I can see what I need to work on
Whoa, that's dinky. The file size is quite small, and this site works well with somewhat larger images. I usually make mine to fit within a square of about 1000 pixels on a side, and the file size can easily be up around 1 MB in file size.

FWIW; I attempted to do some editing, but could not improve it, or at least could not tell for sure.

The "kit lens" is somewhat of a pejorative among some people, and all it means is; "the lens that came with the camera".

Product photography is practically a specialty among professionals, and it requires extensive knowledge of the technique and meticulous attention to detail. Most jewelry photographers will be very good at backgrounds, posing, lighting, and close focusing, not to mention being wizards at post-capture editing. The editing phase is where most of the finished image's final appearance occurs. (IMO)

Feel free to edit so I can see what I need to work on
Whoa, that's dinky. The file size is quite small, and this site works well with somewhat larger images. I usually make mine to fit within a square of about 1000 pixels on a side, and the file size can easily be up around 1 MB in file size.

FWIW; I attempted to do some editing, but could not improve it, or at least could not tell for sure.

The "kit lens" is somewhat of a pejorative among some people, and all it means is; "the lens that came with the camera".

Product photography is practically a specialty among professionals, and it requires extensive knowledge of the technique and meticulous attention to detail. Most jewelry photographers will be very good at backgrounds, posing, lighting, and close focusing, not to mention being wizards at post-capture editing. The editing phase is where most of the finished image's final appearance occurs. (IMO)

Hmmm, not sure why it's small. I will try to upload again this evening. I tried to leave the background with less at the background because I thought it was the jewlery that I had to focus on. I will focus on the background as more too. Any suggestions for background ? Maybe when I uploaded the file I picked small upload rather than medium or large. I will definetly recheck. Then maybe you can edit

Any suggestions for background ?
It looks completely black now, and I think that works nicely for jewelry in many cases.

If you're curious about some of the difficulties of product photography, and in particular jewelry photography, search the forums on here for past threads on the subject. We have dealt with this many times.

Any suggestions for background ?
It looks completely black now, and I think that works nicely for jewelry in many cases.

If you're curious about some of the difficulties of product photography, and in particular jewelry photography, search the forums on here for past threads on the subject. We have dealt with this many times.
Great thanks !!!!

Hi , I have been doing a lot of reading and I kinda getting familiar with things. . I'm not afraid to hear suggestions. I don't have a macro lense so it took so long to get this shot and it isn't even clear but just testing my Dof and learning how to hold my camera still. In this pic I knew not to hold the rings like that I could get a clearer shot and tried not to use a distracting background. Kit lense 18-135 No flash I had the rings next to a window but had a hard time still with light. When I shot it sometimes it looked like I had flash and washed out the pic. What should I have done ?

Attachments

• IMG_4329.JPG
    IMG_4329.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 60

Most reactions

New Topics

Back