My first post with photo

Alrighty... here's my edit without powerlines...

bwgrainelevatorssky-edit4.jpg

You should be able to print this in 8x10 without seeing where the lines were taken out... I can send you the full size edited file if you want, just PM your email address, or a place to send the photo
As far as having to crop the photo to print, you are referring to the aspect ratio. Its not a stupid question at all, I didn't know what the hell it was either when I started. Rather than crop it, you could also probably print it in an 8x12 and just cut the photo down if you wanted. To get the correct aspect ratio, there is a way to set the square selection tool in photoshop to show you the correct aspect ratio. That way, you know when you are cropping down to 8x10...

Again nice shot, I think it has allot more impact without the powerlines too!

Last edited:
Quick Question: I was thinking of getting a print of this, like an 8" x 10" (or maybe even 16" x 20"), but I notice that to do so I'd need to crop the photo. So what have I done wrong? Should I have moved much farther back from the shot, so I could crop it on the computer later? Is that something I should be keeping in mind when taking photos? Do I win any sort of prize for dumbest question?

Ideally, I'd like to get a custom sized print so as not to have to lose anything. Does anyone know where I can get this done online? I know even less about getting prints done than I do about photography, if that's even possible. Thanks, and thanks for the comments on my photo.

Nothing.

If you know while taking the pictures that you're going to want 8x10 prints (or any size with an aspect ratio other than 2:3), it is better to visualize how much you will have to crop off and compose accordingly. Often you won't have a specific print size in mind while shooting though...

In this image, I think you still have enough cropping room on the top (and a little on the bottom) to make it work.

And yes, a custom print size is always an option. If you have an image where there just isn't enough room to crop, that's what you'll most likely have to do.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back