My mirror is a dust magnet

Its a losing battle for sure. I know you are right SCraig, i'll just have to clean out the visible dust.

I strongly suggest that you just stop worrying about it. As I said, I absolutely guarantee that every one of my bodies have dust on the sensor assembly (actually it's the filter in front of the sensor) right this minute, but it doesn't matter a bit. If I clean them it will be back in a few days. If I then clean that it will, once again, be back in a few days. I usually clean mine every few months or so and don't give it a second thought.

Thank you for your words of wisdom. I will clean my camera sparingly.

Here's a step by step on how to clean the sensor on a Nikon. Items needed, Cast iron skillet, lint free cloth, cleaning solution, sensor brush/squeegy.

1, Put the cast iron skillet on a clean surface, for example your kitchen table.
2, cover the skillet with the lint free cloth.
3, take the cap of the camera body and attach it to the rear lens cap of a lens. (you don't want dust in the cover when you reattach it.)
4, lay out all your cleaning supplies along with the camera body on the lint free cloth that covers the pan
5, Now take the pan and all it's contents to the bathroom light it on fire, dump it in the toilet and pee on it because it's a Nikon.

You're welcome.

Here's a step by step on how to clean the sensor on a Nikon. Items needed, Cast iron skillet, lint free cloth, cleaning solution, sensor brush/squeegy.

1, Put the cast iron skillet on a clean surface, for example your kitchen table.
2, cover the skillet with the lint free cloth.
3, take the cap of the camera body and attach it to the rear lens cap of a lens. (you don't want dust in the cover when you reattach it.)
4, lay out all your cleaning supplies along with the camera body on the lint free cloth that covers the pan
5, Now take the pan and all it's contents to the bathroom light it on fire, dump it in the toilet and pee on it because it's a Nikon.

You're welcome.
You forgot a shopvac and a wire brush

Great thread, would read again.

My viewfinder still has two dust particles in it even after i cleaned the mirror. I think that the dust is inside the viewfinder.

My viewfinder still has two dust particles in it even after i cleaned the mirror. I think that the dust is inside the viewfinder.

So what, just get out and shoot, my cameras have been covered in mud as long as it still works who cares

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

I suppose. i'll heave it sent to be cleaned if it gets any more dirty.

Do the more expensive dslr's also have this problem as my d3200?

It isn't worth the expense and effort. Over time the dust will move around to different places in the pentaprism, just forget about it and move on. My 35mm Olympus OM-2n has some lint in the pentaprism that has been there for decades. That body has interchangeable viewing screens so all I have to do is release one clip, remove the viewing screen, and blow it out. It's just not been worth the effort because if I do more will get in there.

Yes. As I have said before it is the nature of the beast with SLR's and DSLR's. It will ALWAYS happen. The only way to prevent it is to put your camera in a sealed plastic bag and never take it out again. Just forget about it.

This is my last post in this thread. It is really becoming tedious now.

Oh. Crazy! I totally thought that cleaning the mirror would have fixed the problem, I'm sorry I said the following in this thread and lead you in teh wrong direction, troll:

That's not dust on the mirror, that's dust on the focusing screen. Constantly blowing around in your camera actually CAUSES this...

Why are we cleaning the sensor to remove all the dust he forced under the focusing screen?

Understood, but if he's seeing dust through the viewfinder [and hasn't mentioned seeing any rendered in pictures] it's most likely not dust on the sensor or mirror but dust under the focusing screen, amiwrong?

...then it may very well be behind my viewfinder screen and i have to take SCraig's advise and learn to live with it. Perish the thought!

or you lift the little metal tab holding the screen down, remove it, and clean it/behind it...

like come on dude.

It isn't worth the expense and effort. Over time the dust will move around to different places in the pentaprism, just forget about it and move on. My 35mm Olympus OM-2n has some lint in the pentaprism that has been there for decades. That body has interchangeable viewing screens so all I have to do is release one clip, remove the viewing screen, and blow it out. It's just not been worth the effort because if I do more will get in there.

Yes. As I have said before it is the nature of the beast with SLR's and DSLR's. It will ALWAYS happen. The only way to prevent it is to put your camera in a sealed plastic bag and never take it out again. Just forget about it.

This is my last post in this thread. It is really becoming tedious now.

I'm sorry if i've asked it before. I just worry too much about these things. But i managed to clean my sensor almost completely. There is a little smudge that is barely visible that i can probably only get out with wet cleaning method. But so far everything is back to working standards.

Oh. Crazy! I totally thought that cleaning the mirror would have fixed the problem, I'm sorry I said the following in this thread and lead you in teh wrong direction, troll:

That's not dust on the mirror, that's dust on the focusing screen. Constantly blowing around in your camera actually CAUSES this...

...then it may very well be behind my viewfinder screen and i have to take SCraig's advise and learn to live with it. Perish the thought!

or you lift the little metal tab holding the screen down, remove it, and clean it/behind it...

like come on dude.

Thank you for the help.

I'm sorry if i've asked it before. I just worry too much about these things. But i managed to clean my sensor almost completely. There is a little smudge that is barely visible that i can probably only get out with wet cleaning method. But so far everything is back to working standards.

OK, one more post....

The bold part is the key. You need to stop worrying about things you cannot control and worry about getting out and using what you have. You are NEVER going to be able to use your camera and keep dust out. Never. It can NOT be done. If you use it you WILL get dust into it and there is not one single thing you can do about it. Get accustomed to the idea and learn to live with it or you are going to have a very disappointing photographic experience.

You basically have three choices, and which of them you choose to follow is entirely up to you:

1. You can use your camera, get dust in it, ignore it most of the time and enjoy the time you spend taking photographs. In this case you will begin to learn how to enjoy your equipment and the hobby you have chosen.

2. You can use your camera, get dust in it, and spend every waking moment worrying about that single speck of dust and how to get it out. In this case you will spend miserable hours fixating on the impossible job of trying to keep every single speck of dust out of your camera.

3. You can seal your camera up in a plastic bag, put it on a shelf, and never take it out of the bag. This will prevent dust from getting in, and is the only known way to prevents dust from getting in, however it makes a complete and utter waste of the time and money you have already spent.

Your call. I'm finished now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back