My Other Camera is a 5DmkII

Joe, if you need a tax right off, you can donate it to the needy, I'll be needy for you ;) (Wished I could take it off your hands for you, specially the body and the 24-105L).

And since you're close, I could probably even hitch-hike up there and pick it up and we could do a photo-walk before I headed by down south. (Oh wait, it's not started snowing up there yet has it?)

Too late, we had our first flurries Monday night and woke Tuesday morning to a light dusting in a few spots. Is it still 110 F down there?

Joe

No, it's actually cold here today (and yesterday). Forecast doesn't look like it's going to warm up anytime soon either.

I feel your pain! As a Medicare-aged geezer, my downtown Chicago 'walkabout' a couple months ago was cut to only 4 hours account too many aches and pains from carrying a gripped 5D3 w/135 f2L and 24-105 f4L in a Lowepro case hooked to my belt. This getting old stuff is a real pain! So, I've been considering either getting a mirrorless Canon and putting the 24-105 on that or a G15 for less than 'big time' shooting. In other words, I'm considering going your route of carrying a pocket sized camera (OK, a G15 isn't exactly pocket sized). Having moved from film to digital starting with a G3 then G5, I'm still hooked on the G-series cameras! Who knows, maybe my 5D3 will start gathering dust like your mark ii.

I got up this morning and listed it on the buy/sell forum. It just doesn't make sense to keep something like that if it's not going to get used. It was really hard to push that submit button. I realize that part of my difficulty is entirely in my head. It's an identity problem. I've been a photographer for nearly 40 years now and part of "being a photographer" is having the right gear -- it's like a uniform. How do I get "photo cred" out of carrying around a Samsung compact -- that's just one step away from using a phone camera!

I guess I'm going to be a retired photographer now.

Joe

bratkinson, Ysarex, maybe you two can take heart6 from this interesting column Kirk Tuck wrote not too long ago, after having attended the PDN photo show in NYC recently.

The Graying Of Traditional Photography And Why Everything Is Getting Re-Invented In A Form We Don't Understand By Kirk Tuck | DIYPhotography.net

Yep, I read that article and I don't entirely disagree with Mr. Tuck, but I do find a lot of what he says pretty disturbing. In my business (education) we likewise spend a lot of time trying to analyze trends and then make all kinds of future predictions. As a general rule when I see that type of thing going on I try and wind it as far back as possible and look to see if the analyzers haven't based their fantasy trip on some wildly erroneous assumptions. They often do.

Last semester I had to attend a most painful presentation on the topic of how to relate to our youngest students who were "digital natives" (they love coming up with snappy new terms there). The presenter went through the group and asked us all to identify ourselves as either digital natives, digital outsiders or digital immigrants. When she got to me I flustered her presentation a bit and identified myself as a digital expert. The rest of the IS faculty followed suit. I went on to explain that my understanding of digital technologies and my skill in using them eclipsed that of my 18 year old students and that furthermore I had a much healthier attitude about technology's role in my life and held up my dumb-phone to confirm that it was turned off. Next I told her that I was also concerned about relating to these students and I had concerns about their relationship to technology but that I didn't call them digital natives, I called them the iCrap generation.

So back to Mr. Tuck here. He's correct that the newest generation of cameras have reached a level of performance sophistication such that the mass market consumers are fundamentally happy with their PHD phone cameras.

Next level: Back in the day when I used to shoot weddings (that's way back in the day) we used a term we called Uncle Charlie's Curse. It went like this: Jennifer is getting married and she and her Mom are looking over bids from some of the wedding photographers. Dad walks by and looks at the prices on the bids and then blurts out, "Hey Uncle Charlie has a nice camera, I'll bet he'd be happy to take pictures." Today the level of sophistication in the cameras has elevated Uncle Charlie from a pain in *ss to a bona-fide fauxtographer and the proprietor of "Magic Moments" Photography.

Mr Tuck's argument is that it's only us old farts who previously mastered digital technologies by hand that find this situation disturbing. We'll die off soon enough and then everyone will be happy with iCrap. Well he's right about me; I'll die off soon and I'm not happy with iCrap. I hope he's not right however about the generations behind me and I think my experiences here at TPF bare that out. We see our share of Uncle Charlies come through but for the most part the people who come here and hang around are committed to learning and gaining technical control of the medium. They're unhappy when the automated tech lets them down and bites them in the *ss. They want solutions then that will let them do better. There's always going to be someone who won't settle -- ultimately that's a definition of automation; settling for the mean or mediocrity. Automation can function only because the mean exists. Of course the mass consumer market settles, but those who insist on excellence will persevere (I hope).

And I hope that also means that before I check out there will still be some decent hardware available for me to use. I'm not tradin' the 5D in on an 5s.

Joe

I think the there from Tuck's article that applies best to your post, and your new mindset, is this one:

"What it really means for the camera industry is that the tools they offer the new generation must be more intuitively integrated and less about "ultimate." In this world a powerful camera that's small enough and light enough to go with you anywhere (phone or small camera) trumps the huge camera that may generate better billboards but the quality of which is irrelevant for web use and social media. The accessible camera trumps the one that needs a sherpa for transport and a banker for acquisition."

I think the folks at Fuji have really hit a good balance, aiming at the camera enthusiast/expert market, a market with people who value high-quality lenses, good features, nice looks and styling, and who want it to be smaller and more-portable, more-totable, more-carryable, than a big pentaprism-style d-slr like, say, a Canon 5D Mark II with a fairly good sized 24-105mm f/4 L series zoom...

And I hope that also means that before I check out there will still be some decent hardware available for me to use. I'm not tradin' the 5D in on an 5s.

Joe

Well Darn. I am due and upgrade on my current phone and could have traded that 5D for a brand new 5S. How about a colorful 5C instead? lol

I think the there from Tuck's article that applies best to your post, and your new mindset, is this one:

"What it really means for the camera industry is that the tools they offer the new generation must be more intuitively integrated and less about "ultimate." In this world a powerful camera that's small enough and light enough to go with you anywhere (phone or small camera) trumps the huge camera that may generate better billboards but the quality of which is irrelevant for web use and social media. The accessible camera trumps the one that needs a sherpa for transport and a banker for acquisition."

I think the folks at Fuji have really hit a good balance, aiming at the camera enthusiast/expert market, a market with people who value high-quality lenses, good features, nice looks and styling, and who want it to be smaller and more-portable, more-totable, more-carryable, than a big pentaprism-style d-slr like, say, a Canon 5D Mark II with a fairly good sized 24-105mm f/4 L series zoom...

Looks like we've learned a new tune--finally.

Looks like we've learned a new tune--finally.

No...JOE has though...I still shoot a Nikon D3x and big, pro glass... and an iPhone 4...remember, Joe, well, he's retired now, and wants a walkabout camera. As for the new tune, mirrorless cameras sold 39,000 units in North America in the last year, according to CIPA figures quoted by Kirk Tuck, who wrote, "Another interesting number to emerge from CIPA is the total sales of mirrorless system cameras in N. America. In the last year the makers of these little gems have sold slightly fewer than 39,000 units. Total. And I suspect most of those were sold only in the financially prosperous, tech forward cities of the U.S. The value proposition being lost in more traditional markets. "

Sales figures aside, I can see why people like a small camera, especially the Fuji EX series, with Fuji's "special sauce sensor". FujiFilm has a long (long in digital years) tradition of "alternative style sensors"...I have owned three Fuji d-slrs, S1,S2,S5 Pro models: EACH was wayyy ahead of other sensors in terms of dynamic range, and in fact, overall color response, when it was introduced. The new X-Trans sensor that Joe is stoked about is VERY different than what any other company has..."better pictures" has been a FujiFIlm company design priority for quite a long time in the digital realm. Fuji realizes that people want color photos that look GOOD. Really GOOD.

Last edited:

I think you're right -- I bristle at Mr. Tuck pushing that all the way to suggesting a phone camera, but now in my 60s when taking photos is back to being more my hobby than my profession, the 5D is no longer my friend. I think the X-E2 is an answer. That XF-14mm f/2.8 with a real f/stop ring really does look exciting.

Joe

I have no complaints about the weight of my D600 ...

If you're happy with a compact camera, why do you need the Fuji X-E2 ??? :confused: Not that I want to say its a bad camera.

I wouldnt be happy with a non-DSLR right now, but that will change in the coming years because Mirrorless will be able to shoot action in low light, too, and the EVFs are getting better all the time, too.

FujiFilm has a long (long in digital years) tradition of "alternative style sensors"...I have owned three Fuji d-slrs, S1,S2,S5 Pro models: EACH was wayyy ahead of other sensors in terms of dynamic range, and in fact, overall color response, when it was introduced. The new X-Trans sensor that Joe is stoked about is VERY different than what any other company has..."better pictures" has been a FujiFIlm company design priority for quite a long time in the digital realm. Fuji realizes that people want color photos that look GOOD. Really GOOD.
Now that you say it ... true!

I really loved every example picture I've seen so far of Fuji X on the net. Especially on pixel level and higher ISOs, Fuji comes with a quality that other cameras dont have.

Unfortunately they already announced they want to go full frame in 2 years, which means I'll be back on square one with waiting for them to release the perfect camera for me lolz.

And apparently there will be no Black Edition of the X100s. :(

Convenience cannot be overstated here. As they say you miss all the photos you don't take. It is not to dis similar to walkmans taking over from ghetto blasters. An iPod only gives music to one through a set of headphones but that is all it needs to do. Mostly gone are the day's of someone carrying a big stereo.

There is no getting away from the satisfaction of using a dslr if that is your thing. The thing now though is a lot of smaller cameras almost measure up. Most people are very adaptable and you may find initially you prefer the dslr experience but the newer smaller and less exhausting camera will likely grow on you

Well Joe, I can certainly relate. The 5D II is large and heavy. Gosh I sure do love the the character of the images (more to do with the lenses on the full frame sensor).

But I confess that I dumped the Canon camera strap (I don't care if people can't see the words "EOS 5D MARK II" embroidered across the red and black strap) -- my Black Rapid strap is just SOOO much more comfortable. No flashy logo (well.. they do have an "R" on it, but I doubt anybody out there knows what that means unless they're heavily into photography and familiar with the strap).

Then my buddy shows up with his Carry Speed strap... basically very similar to the Black Rapid except that the part that goes across his shoulder appears to be softer neoprene and probably even more comfortable than my Black Rapid.

The point is, I've carried the camera for hours on end and the comfort of the carrying gear sure does make a difference.

While I've upgraded to the 5D III (still have the 5D II) I also have a Powershot G1 X -- a _very_ nice camera, but I find I hardly ever use it. For me, it's the camera with hardly any shutter counts. I really only bought it to take to places where the DSLR simply isn't allowed or for whatever reason just isn't practical.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back