My own website....made easy...Help

frey5150

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK, so I have a Flickr page.... So does my mom. I've tried (and failed) a bunch of times to put up my own website, and am willing to admit I just pull a major DUH when I try.

What I would like to do is create a site with iWeb and be able to just hit one button and ulpoad the whole thing to my own .....uh, server? isp? web address? Whatever you call it. I want to buy some hosting and hit button, and Woosh, call it a day. I think Woosh is a technical term? I know a bit about Cameras, Photoshop, Aperture, and my mac. I know nothing about web sites or hosting. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frey5150/

Dave

Well once you have your own "domain" and get some one to "host" your website. You can get a web authoring program such as Dream weaver Komzer or a slew of others. In the program there will be a section where you set up your ftp settings and such. Then once the page is created you then hit the button (if your using dreamweaver) that says
'put' and it uploads it all for you.

HTH

What do you want to do with said Web Site?

Many hosting sites have templates you can use which will make things much easier, albeit more expensive in some cases.

If you want a place to store and display pics online, flickr, pbase are for you.

If you have the extra time, cash and ability, and wish to go commercial, a website is for you.

You can purchase domain names reasonably at GoDaddy.com
You can purcase server space at the same location. Unlike places like Flicker (where for $25/year you are unlimited), ISP hosted servers renting their hard drive space is way more expensive. Cheap affordable and semi-reliable hosts/providers start at about $120/year for around 100MB. Thats total room. Careful, like in anything else on the net, there are a million scammers out there ready to promise you the world and then disappear once you pay.

The complexity of setting up a website... if you are newbie to this, there are many tutorials on designing and hosting webs on the interet no further away that a google search for you.

First question you need to be asking is... why do you need a website?

I flirt with it, but its more a game for me than anything else.

http://d200.syner-g.org

The pics I want to display publically are on flickr. The ones I want to display privately are dispursed over other venues.

For good practise you could even get a site from say freewebs.com you will just have a url like dave.freewebs.com
I started out with geocities about ten years ago or so and it really helped me learn how it all works. But i would suggest pending on your needs starting off with something like that to get some experience under your belt and if you decided to run with it then you could get a domain.
However if you go this route i personally wouldn't put the addy on business cards or anything due to it looking unprofessional.

HTH too.

Try zenfolio cost a few bucks but you can have it going and looking good in a hour. I think 40 bucks a year with no limit on uploads. its what I use after seeing someone from here use it. check my gallery for a peak.

First, thanks for all the great ideas. Why do I want a website? Well, a few years ago when I first picked up a camera, Nikon N50, I took some really great shots and thought I was like a prodigy....it's OK to laugh, I've since laughed a bunch at that thought too. I do own a domain name, and I paid for hosting and jumped right in.....I was going to be a pro! Long story short......I'm still not a pro, I pay for a domain I don't use because I got so frustrated trying to learn html etc. The frustration seeped into my photography and I started to no longer enjoy it, and since I no longer enjoyed it I stopped shooting.

I have the bug again. I have the desire to learn again, and I wouldn't mind having a "slicker" looking sight as I try to build a portfolio and maybe, just maybe get a paying gig......one day.

I think Flickr is great for what it is, at least I'm able to put up some of my pics and point people to them.
Hope this answers a lot of the questions. And Heck, I see you're local to me....where is that lighthouse?

Most reactions

Back