My Recent Shoots

Bobman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Please give comments and suggestions on my recent shoot out...Thanks!

ana01.jpg

an3.jpg

ana2.jpg

There is a PRO among us--can you guess who?

#1 has everything going for it. Model, photographer, lighting, and Pose. Did I leave anything out? Did I mention the model?

The other's are professional quality, but the pose in #1 makes the differrence.

#3 is a perfect example of "Rembrant Lighting". perfect triangle on the dark cheek. Lighting ratio no more than 1:2, probably closer to 1:1.5.
deliberate softer focus.

Please describe your studio and lighting setup

WOW!

I'd like to know the lightning set up as well because these look great!

I tend to be a little picky so this is just me saying this so far: The second one, her left eye is too dark (unless that's my monitor which tends to be too dark on most images). It sorta of bugs my eyes to see it.

The first one I like the best IMO.

Thank you very much for your good comments, where are some comments from others:

1. The background too striking, catches attention.
2. The catch light too big, light too near the model.
3. No hair light.

Please fill me in for my comments cause I really want to learn.

I use one light source shooting at f8.....

No hair light.
My monitor shows hair light, but subtle (like the mood). It's not overwhelming--just enough.

I don't see a back light, but in this instance I don't think it was needed. I wouldn't change anything. The background doesn't distract me. There's nothing in it that steels the attention from the subject.

I believe the shaded eye in the second shot was intentional to create the more dramatic mood. This is a professional technique used to hide flaws that are on one side and not the other and to conceal an un glamorous nose.

The first pose is a CLASIC that was once used excllusively for Senior portraits (probably still used for Sr portraits)

This is the best portrait work I've seen on this forum. However, there is one importaint pose missing. Where's the classic hand-over-hand-beneath-the-chin shot?

I think the background is fine. The catch lights are a little big, so ya, maybe the light is too big/too close. Much more so in the first one.

I think a hair light might have helped. Maybe some fill light as well...although I kind of like the feel of the lighting as is.

The first one...it's like "where is she looking"

The 2nd shot is my favorite. The direct look really brings out the sensuality that this model is showing. I don't feel that the other two show that.

The third one...she's going for the typical, sexy head tilted down while looking up. Either she's didn't quite get it or it's not her best pose. Is there too much white part of her eyes? I can't really nail it down.

Overall, very very good. I'd like to see more of your work...especially with this model.

I believe the shaded eye in the second shot was intentional to create the more dramatic mood.

That doesn't mean it worked well. It's just my opinion of course (it doesn't mean anyone of us are right). Plus, I don't think it fits with the mood. The model (the eye in the light as well) looks coy/happy, the eye looks sad/evil. You don't see people smile in the shadows unless they've just killed someone they dislike :) And I doubt she did ;) because it would be a different smile on her lips and a different look in her eye that's in the light.

again, MO.

Great pics, the lighting is great and the model looks completely comfortable. but here are my constructive critisms....

1. Hate the background. Does not compliment the model or her attire. I'm thinking a sand colored (or any natural) bg that is very out of focus.
2. The third pic does not work for me. The hair looks wrong. The key light is a hair too strong. And it's out of focus. The focus on the first two are perfection (keyed on eyes).

However, there's nothing to be ashamed of in any of these...just things to think about.

Please fill me in for my comments cause I really want to learn.

Bobman, surely you jest. lol. I keep coming back to admire the manor in which your camera has flattered your model.

How long have you been shooting glamour portraits? Are you a Pro?

metroshane, I was just browsing your profile. It seems that you and I have many interrest in common.....
Gretches......Chet Adkins Signature COUNTRY GENTLEMAN
...................TENNISEAN
Red Heads.....No comments
Hot Rods.... two RamAir WS6's (one for groceries, one for the strip)

Very nice work. The only thing I might mention is on #2 a little fill light with perhaps a small reflector on the left side of her face would help. Keep up the good work!

Very nice work. The only thing I might mention is on #2 a little fill light with perhaps a small reflector on the left side of her face would help. Keep up the good work!

Thank you guys for your valuable comments. I agree with some that the background abit too distracting, 3rd out of focus(I guess mainly caused by hand shake)...

metroshane, thanks and I hope I can learn a thing or two from you guys in here.

cannonrebel, I started my photography hobby on the 24 Sep 2003 (black/white) and doing studio photography only 15 Feb 2004. Thus, I have alot more to learn, so don't spare me and hit me with your frank remarks and comments. I can take them.... :)

I have no professional training, I have no regrets..... hahahahhahaha

Thank you....

Bobman, when you're viewing movies (especially drama movies), do you observe the varied lighting techniques. When the camera pans into a closeup bust or full-face, more often than not the lighting technique will be the classic rembrandt. One side will be well lit while only a triangular highlight will be placed on the cheek of the dark side of the face. The lighting ratio between the lit side and the dark side will vary according to how dramatic the producer wanted the scene to be.

When I'm watching movies, I'm always looking for repeditive lighting situations. If you're interrested in composing scenes, the old reruns of Bonanza are interresting.

How important is hairlight, anyway
hairlight.jpg

Do you shoot scenics as well as you shoot studio? Do you have scenics to submit?

Most reactions

Back