My rejected fair photo

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by padrepaul77, Aug 19, 2009.

1. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I tried, but failed, to get into our State Fair arts competition. I took a shot with this one. I liked it and was walking around the fairgrounds last year and caught this guy at the end of the fair. He's clearly worked a very hard 12 days and was getting some well-earned rest. The lights are a little greenish I guess; should have maybe tried the flourescent setting? I shoot a Canon Powershot sx10is. A fun camera with some nice features. Was pondering getting an SLR too, but this one does so much and has the big zoom, hard to justify the expense. Thought I'd share it; the arts competition had over 800 submitted and only 100 some-odd photos taken, as they have mostly paintings there, but I did submit it to the overflow show in Hopkins - or where all the rejected art goes :eek:). Any thoughts or suggestions? I put a price of $150 on it (framed) but doubt anyone will buy it at the show as it's a bit odd to hang in a room or something, but who knows.

Thanks!
    Paul

Attached Files:

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Other than catching a guy taking a nap the shot really does nothing for me. The composition is off, the lighting is off and the depth of field is too deep.

Either a hard 12 days worth of work or too many corn dogs I guess :lol:

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would of rejected the photo as well.

When doing photojournalism, its great to try and get the photos that no one else gets, from the angles no one else sees. However, you have to take subject in consideration and not shoot them in a degrading or embarrassing way. Its a code of ethics in a way (well, one that I was taught).

Showing a fat guy sleeping in a hot dog stand at a fair goes against this IMO. It doesn't tell a story, it doesn't capture emotion or beauty or the feeling of being at the fair. Its just a funny pic of a fat guy in a hot dog stand.

You other pictures posted in the other thread are way better than this one.

4. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the feedback. Interesting take; my concern was people might laugh at him or something like that (I'm a priest and don't want people to be subject to ridicule). But I actually had feedback from parishioners, posting these photos on my blog, and this was the favorite. Another priest friend said it captures the fair and Americana, and points out that working a fair is tough. This guy has busted his rear for 12 straight days and is drained. But I do appreciate the thoughts...fairs present many chances to get unique shots.

5. JayClark79

JayClark79 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is the booth next to the corn dog place called "Big Fat Bacon"? now THAT would of been funny!

6. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes, that is the name of the booth next door - but again I don't want people to laugh at this guy. It was taken on the very last night of the fair and it just struck me as unique that he was asleep. For whatever reason those who responded to my poll (I wish now I would have posted them here first) really liked this picture and told me to use this one. Oh well.

7. Actor

Actor TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why is that a bad thing?

8. vegasvisionstudios

vegasvisionstudios TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Because a busy background detracts from the subject. It keeps the eye moving around too much rather then letting it settle on a focal point. With a shallower DOF the eye would naturally go to the point of sharpest focus and then follow the natural lines of the image but with this DOF there are too many lines breaking up the lines the eye would normally try to follow.

9. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The depth of field is big, but I think he stands out plainly in the center. I wanted the sign above him; if that's out, he could very well be a ticket-taker in a parking ramp. The State Fair is something unique. I suppose I could have zoomed more and gotten just the "corn dogs" on the window. And when I'm shooting night shots out there this year, should I try the flourescent setting for white balance?

Thanks,
    Paul

10. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try whatever looks right to you... that's the beauty of digital, instant feedback.

11. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are submitting this one, may want to properly title the picture in the submission and/or add a caption that makes the viewer see this as a "working class getting tired" photo. :)

12. padrepaul77

padrepaul77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit