Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just thought I would share.

Attachments

• compressed.jpg
    compressed.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 174
Yeah, it's a very useful modifier. I took an inexpensive e-Bay Made in China 22-inch beauty dish that was for the Bowens mount, and after my JTL Bowens-mount monolight conked out, I took an old, unused a Speedotron Universal Mount collar kit, and installed it on the rear side of the dish, using washers and machine bolts and small hex nuts, and now have a 22-inch beauty dish fitted for Speedotron Universal.

Last edited:
Very nice!! I’ve never had the pleasure of using one.

Thanks for sharing.

Did do some retouching on the photo and loved the way it turned out. Used an ND filter outdoors to get the bokeh in the background with the sync speed of my flash. Used the sun as my kicker light. Is there anything that you could suggest that could be improved?

It's hard to say for sure with such a small image, but it does look like there are some fly-away hairs around her left eye, but the lighting is great!

Did do some retouching on the photo and loved the way it turned out. Used an ND filter outdoors to get the bokeh in the background with the sync speed of my flash. Used the sun as my kicker light. Is there anything that you could suggest that could be improved?
Based on my personal taste, I would have liked to see a bit more sculpting done to her features with the light. A beauty dish creates high contrast lighting while still attaining softness to it, which makes it very useful and popular for beauty portraits. I think a slightly higher placement of the light source would let you take better advantage of this modifier's high contrast qualities by creating shadows that would sculpt the model's beautiful features; her cheekbones, nose, jawline and forehead. This diagram shows the general lighting and shadow pattern that I base most of my lighting on: https://orig00.deviantart.net/1ec7/f/2017/010/e/f/tyd54f8_by_danostergren-dauzkxw.png It's a makeup diagram, but the concept remains exactly the same in terms of lighting, because the makeup technique itself is meant to mimic flattering light.

I would also clean up some of the stray hairs a bit.

Otherwise, this shot is great, and my lighting suggestion should only be taken as my own personal taste, not necessarily a critique.

Last edited:
Is there anything that you could suggest that could be improved?
You could frame a little wider, and it wouldn't hurt a thing. Particularly if it was going to be framed.

Most reactions

Back