My watermark/logo for C&C

JeffieLove

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I figured why not? Everyone else is doing it?

watermark.jpg

Everyone else is posting threads for C&C on a watermark? Looks big to me.....if you want C&C on your watermark you should probably try posting a pic with the watermark on it.....I'd have a different critique if it's the size above than if it was small and in a corner.

Well, as I've already mentioned... I don't like the font.

That being said, I kind of like the reverse triangle you have going on, but it's a little tilted. I think there is too much space between "For Life". also, the copyright 2010 Sarah Dillard is a little to the left instead of being more centered.

A lot of people use Papyrus for a font. Whether the application fits the font, or not. I think from a graphic designers perspective you should try and make it a little less intrusive and change the font. If you notice, it takes up a good portion of the photo, and is very distracting, as I am sure you want people to focus on the photo, rather than who took the photo at a first glance.

The biggest issue is......you dont need a water mark. No one is gonna steal your pictures.

The biggest issue is......you dont need a water mark. No one is gonna steal your pictures.

doesn't mean I can't use one...

When I frame a picture, people shouldn't have to ask who took it...

thanks for the CC... *insert choice word here*

Is that why you don't have a watermark?

Don't be a dick, it's a step in the direction of professionalism if she wants to pursue it. Also, side note, photos taken by people that frequent this forum HAVE been used without their permission on other sites.

A lot of people use Papyrus for a font. Whether the application fits the font, or not. I think from a graphic designers perspective you should try and make it a little less intrusive and change the font. If you notice, it takes up a good portion of the photo, and is very distracting, as I am sure you want people to focus on the photo, rather than who took the photo at a first glance.

When it was made smaller, you couldn't read the copyright portion...

That was why I made it a little bigger...

I'd suggest rethinking the need for it.

I'm not even sure why it's considered a watermark, it's more like a signature. A watermark, I would think, covers the entire image and has a low opacity, which basically renders the image useless to anything other than critique or preview. It's difficult to shop out perfectly.

A signature, however, identifies you as the author and proclaims copywrite status. Well, if submitting for C&C, we already know you're the author, and like Jimmy said (ever so eloquently), I don't know why anyone would steal a picture that was submitted for C&C on a Beginner photography forum, especially when it's such a small resolution and would be useless for printing or selling.

But if you must, smaller is better, in my humble opinion.

When it was made smaller, you couldn't read the copyright portion...

That was why I made it a little bigger...

I think the copyright is implied with the use of any sort of "logo" watermark.

Personally, I think it's too big for use as a "signature" on your photos. As a "watermark" it's fine.

I think people get the two terms/uses mixed up sometimes.

In my mind, a signature is very small and simple, letting the viewer know who took the picture. A watermark is a security measure used to deter "theft" of the image, usually large enough to "ruin" the image to the point where nobody would want to try and photoshop it out for use yet not intrusive enough so that one can get the "gist" of the photo.

Most of what we see here on the forum, I would consider "signatures". This, as you've posted, I would consider a "watermark" and as such, should cover more of the subject in the photo to prevent anyone wanting to reuse the photo. I don't think that's what you're going for.

All in all, just do a simple "(C) Sarah Dillard" in a nice font, no bigger than say 18pt in one of the corners, out of the way. Or, the above font/size but use "Photography For Life" with no (C) symbol. Use it as a signature, it's more tasteful for a forum such as this.

That's my take, hopefully the insight helps :D

Edit: haha, Bazooka beat me to the same thought. lol

Btw, I hope I didn't come across like Jimmy did, and often does. I am not trying to be a d-bag... just my thoughts on the matter. If you like the signature, go for it!

Most reactions

Back